Upgrading from Biocube 14g to IM 25g lagoon

jorgeherrera89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning guys I decided to upgrade from my old biocube 14g to IM 25g lagoon and I wanted to some opinions on how and when to move my fish and corals to new tank. I saw a video about the same thing where the person took all the water out of the old tank and rocks and put some new salt water in the new table and the rest the old water from the old tank and rocks and put the fish and corals back in. Is this safe or should I put all brand new water and rocks and let it cycle?

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the rocks if they are mature. I would use new substrate. Transfer the fish to a bucket and siphon old water to new tank with new sand, add old rock, top off with new water, let dust settle, acclimate fish, put fish in. Do water changes frequently in case anything dies off in the move. Test, test, test. You should be fine.

OP
OP
J

jorgeherrera89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the rocks if they are mature. I would use new substrate. Transfer the fish to a bucket and siphon old water to new tank with new sand, add old rock, top off with new water, let dust settle, acclimate fish, put fish in. Do water changes frequently in case anything dies off in the move. Test, test, test. You should be fine.

Wow awesome explanation. Should I use any start up bacteria or no?

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You
Wow awesome explanation. Should I use any start up bacteria or no?
It won’t hurt anything. Some here swear by it but I’ve never found magic in any bottle. I’m not sure if it does anything or not. I’ve always counted on nature to do that job. But I’m confident that it won’t hurt and, who knows, it might work!

OP
OP
J

jorgeherrera89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You

It won’t hurt anything. Some here swear by it but I’ve never found magic in any bottle. I’m not sure if it does anything or not. I’ve always counted on nature to do that job. But I’m confident that it won’t hurt and, who knows, it might work!

Okay thank you for the intel! Very helpful

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend reversing the water/rock step. Put the rock in first, then when you move the water you can pour it over the rocks and minimize any sand clouds.

Out of curiosity, what are you using for a light?

OP
OP
J

jorgeherrera89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend reversing the water/rock step. Put the rock in first, then when you move the water you can pour it over the rocks and minimize any sand clouds.

Out of curiosity, what are you using for a light?

Ai prime hd

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back