Upgrading lights...need acclimation?

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm upgrading my current tank (fluval 9g flex) to an IM 30L with 2 AI primes. I was wondering if I needed to light acclimate my 2 fish (firefish and clown) with the new AI's. They're currently under the stock fluval lights. not sure how many watts the stock light pushes out but its pretty bright actually. Any advice would be awesome!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For fish only- no. If coral, Dim it down as slowly bring it up. I run mine at 5% red/green, 20% white And 80% blue

OP
OP
Nem0

Nem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish only- no. If coral, Dim it down as slowly bring it up. I run mine at 5% red/green, 20% white And 80% blue

No corals. just fish, snails, and crabs. so i should be good for about 40% intensity of blues and 20ish whites?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No corals. just fish, snails, and crabs. so i should be good for about 40% intensity of blues and 20ish whites?
Yes/ you can even go 50-60% blue

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested in this as well. So for those that switch lights and acclimate the tank, do you do the same acclimation process for each coral You add down the road?
do you just try to mimic par?
i seem to see more and more people who switch lints and don’t acclimate at all.
I run halides and am switching over to 2 Orphek leds and I am unsure if acclimation is needed and how to do so if it is.

corey

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have learned the hard way to take advantage of acclimation mode if your lights have it

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the problem with Orpheks. they have one, but it doesn’t move. It is a constant. I don’t know why it is so hard for manufacturers to do like Kessil, and AI I believe. They have an acclimation program and you can also say I want channel one to be xxx% and channel 2 to be xxx% and raise it over “x” weeks. Then is slowly adjusts it over the stated time period. That way it truly builds up to desired numbers and doesn’t require us to go in and manually adjust it.
just easier is all

corey

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That is the problem with Orpheks. they have one, but it doesn’t move. It is a constant. I don’t know why it is so hard for manufacturers to do like Kessil, and AI I believe. They have an acclimation program and you can also say I want channel one to be xxx% and channel 2 to be xxx% and raise it over “x” weeks. Then is slowly adjusts it over the stated time period. That way it truly builds up to desired numbers and doesn’t require us to go in and manually adjust it.
just easier is all

corey
Mine were with the Orpheks

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. And they do have an acclimation mode. But it doesn’t adjust to your desired settings over the course of “x” amount of time. You have to manually do it. Not the end of the world by any means. But the technology is there. So I dont understand why we can’t say “channel 1 80%, channel 2 100%, channel 3 100%, and channel 4 50%“ or whatever numbers we choose. Then tell them to get to those levels over 10 weeks or however long.
to me, that is a good acclimation mode.

corey

Back