Upgrading my tank size from 57l to 120l

brandonff3123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I currently have a nano reef tank that’s been running for 3 years. I have two clowns, some inverts and mushrooms, gsp’s and zoas as well as a bubble tip anenome.
I’ve recently acquired a 120l tank with a good sized sump. I have all extra equipment that I need to set the new tank up e.g light, protein skimmer, return pump, heater, auto top off device etc My plan was to just set up this tank from new and run the two systems at the same time and slowly bring across everything from my original tank when the time is right however, I have a lot of mature filter media as well as the tank being set up for 3 years. I was wondering if I would get away with transferring directly into the new tank and adding new saltwater to make up the difference or will I have to just cycle the new tank and gradually bring everything across.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can transfer your rock across to the new tank and effectively "insta-cycle" it. Retaining the old sand/water isn't necessary.

I used Bio-Spira just to populate the new tank just to ensure I had enough bio for everything.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back