Upgrading RODI system

asome_one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an ro buddie for the better part of 2 years. This is a listed 50gal per day system....Always dealt with running my tap for literal days at a time to fill my 30 gallon mixing bin. It's rated at 50gpd...yea right...even with what I know now is 65psi source water and all filters within expiration I maybe got 5 gallons per 12 hours.
Due to a recent infusion of cash from big daddy govt as well as a planned upgrade I purchased a brs 75gpd plus system. Giving me a flush kit and pressure gauge. Man! The difference is absolutely wild. I've had it running about 12 hours and it's given me about 35 gallons of 0tds water. I am absolutely blown away. Had I know the difference was so dramatic I would have invested in a proper system a long time ago.
This is just a semi newbie post for those that wanna skimp on the hundred bucks more for a better rodi system. The water utility bill cost alone more than evens the cost out. So happy I finally I don't have to wait 3 days to make enough water to get mixing.

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes a huge difference. Better quality product generally cost a little more. Not saying that there are not diamonds in the rough but for the most part the good things cost a little more.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the exact same switch as you. I never recommend the cheap ones anymore unless for a nano system.

OP
OP
asome_one

asome_one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the exact same switch as you. I never recommend the cheap ones anymore unless for a nano system.
Seeing the difference first hand...I know brs doesn't like to just dump on other products...but man. If they did I would have never even tried the ro buddie.

OP
OP
asome_one

asome_one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes a huge difference. Better quality product generally cost a little more. Not saying that there are not diamonds in the rough but for the most part the good things cost a little more.
It's a 125 dollar more upgrade...so I wouldn't say a little...but the difference in performance is so dramatic it's not even in the same ballpark

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an ro buddie for the better part of 2 years. This is a listed 50gal per day system....Always dealt with running my tap for literal days at a time to fill my 30 gallon mixing bin. It's rated at 50gpd...yea right...even with what I know now is 65psi source water and all filters within expiration I maybe got 5 gallons per 12 hours.
Due to a recent infusion of cash from big daddy govt as well as a planned upgrade I purchased a brs 75gpd plus system. Giving me a flush kit and pressure gauge. Man! The difference is absolutely wild. I've had it running about 12 hours and it's given me about 35 gallons of 0tds water. I am absolutely blown away. Had I know the difference was so dramatic I would have invested in a proper system a long time ago.
This is just a semi newbie post for those that wanna skimp on the hundred bucks more for a better rodi system. The water utility bill cost alone more than evens the cost out. So happy I finally I don't have to wait 3 days to make enough water to get mixing.
I have a 6 stage BRS system and it’s a beast. Water pressure out of my tap is around 60 psi. I bought a booster pump and ramp it up to 75 psi. It seems to work even better.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree 100%. I started w/BRS 5 stage and since have upgraded to 3 stage resin (Anion, Cation & Dual bed) added water saver kit and booster pump. I make 8 gals per hour and have almost a 1:1 ratio of product water to waste water. Have also added a split for RO drinking water - nothing goes to waste.

RODI.jpg

Dunc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree 100%. I started w/BRS 5 stage and since have upgraded to 3 stage resin (Anion, Cation & Dual bed) added water saver kit and booster pump. I make 8 gals per hour and have almost a 1:1 ratio of product water to waste water. Have also added a split for RO drinking water - nothing goes to waste.

RODI.jpg
Dude, everything you have is top notch. I’ve seen your control board.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, everything you have is top notch. I’ve seen your control board.
Thanks. It's actually pretty basic & straight forward, just trying to make the best of it and keeping it simple & straiught forward.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the little canister?
The little canister is carbon filter for drinking water/dog water/coffee. We live in rural Minnesota & have city treated well water and recently we were notified by city that local water has high amounts of manganese and were advised to filter or buy bottled water - so I took mini reactor added carbon and filter floss. I hate just wasting water so we use the RODI for tanks, the RO water for drinking and waste water for laundry, parts cleaning & plants.

OP
OP
asome_one

asome_one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, overall post point. Sped the extra cash on a proper rodi system....you really wont regret it. Its also way easier to have a standard system that you can upgrade with things like the above poster. Make it work for you.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read ‘days to produce 30 gallons’ and I almost cried for you! So glad you made the switch to a nice BRS RO/DI unit. I wasn’t clear whether you sprang for the booster pump? I’m getting 85 psi using one, and super-fast output. Best wishes.

EC512066-0218-48CD-9DE4-DBDD0CB0B099.jpeg

OP
OP
asome_one

asome_one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read ‘days to produce 30 gallons’ and I almost cried for you! So glad you made the switch to a nice BRS RO/DI unit. I wasn’t clear whether you sprang for the booster pump? I’m getting 85 psi using one, and super-fast output. Best wishes.

EC512066-0218-48CD-9DE4-DBDD0CB0B099.jpeg
No boost pump for me as Im very content with my output as is! Maybe if i upgrade to a couple more RO and DI canisters like you have I'll grab one.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back