Upgrading Tank and want to Quarantine

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I currently having an up and running 100 gallon system. I have not quarantined in the past and I am sure that there is/was ich/velvet in my tank at one point. Long story short, I was a newbie and got a blue hippo tang. Eventually that tang got stressed and gave a bunch of other livestock the illness. I lost a bunch of members. However, the Blue hippo tang has survived and now lives happily with 2 clownfish, a yellow eye kole, and a couple blennies. I want to upgrade these guys into my new (used) 180 gallon system.

How would I go about quarantining them prior to placing them into the new system? I have corals and inverts so no treatment in current DT. No fish are currently sick and none have showed any illness in almost a year. I just know that ich/velvet can remain in a tank even though noone has symptoms. I would like to follow humblefish's guide, butI am curious on the risk/reward I am taking by quarantining these fish that I've had for so long. I would be upset if I ended up losing any fish in the process.

My thought is to quarantine these fish, using the proactive humblefish method. Then leave the inverts/corals in the old 100 gallon system, to be fallow for 3 months. Then ultimately moving them to the larger system once they have successfully been kept in the fallow tank.

Any advice, opinions, or criticism is welcome. TIA!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I currently having an up and running 100 gallon system. I have not quarantined in the past and I am sure that there is/was ich/velvet in my tank at one point. Long story short, I was a newbie and got a blue hippo tang. Eventually that tang got stressed and gave a bunch of other livestock the illness. I lost a bunch of members. However, the Blue hippo tang has survived and now lives happily with 2 clownfish, a yellow eye kole, and a couple blennies. I want to upgrade these guys into my new (used) 180 gallon system.

How would I go about quarantining them prior to placing them into the new system? I have corals and inverts so no treatment in current DT. No fish are currently sick and none have showed any illness in almost a year. I just know that ich/velvet can remain in a tank even though noone has symptoms. I would like to follow humblefish's guide, butI am curious on the risk/reward I am taking by quarantining these fish that I've had for so long. I would be upset if I ended up losing any fish in the process.

My thought is to quarantine these fish, using the proactive humblefish method. Then leave the inverts/corals in the old 100 gallon system, to be fallow for 3 months. Then ultimately moving them to the larger system once they have successfully been kept in the fallow tank.

Any advice, opinions, or criticism is welcome. TIA!

There is always some risk of instigating a disease when you move fish due to the changes in their dynamics and overall increase in stress levels. However, there is also some risk to every quarantine method. You definitely want to have your QT up and running for any new fish that you get. When would you say was the last time you definitively saw some ich on your fish?

Jay

OP
OP
Sstadler

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always some risk of instigating a disease when you move fish due to the changes in their dynamics and overall increase in stress levels. However, there is also some risk to every quarantine method. You definitely want to have your QT up and running for any new fish that you get. When would you say was the last time you definitively saw some ich on your fish?

Jay

the last time I saw any ich was almost a year ago. However, I know for a fact I had ich/velvet because I witnessed it kill several of my fish. I have never had a fallow period or have treated any of my fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are pretty safe considering your current fish to be clean, and just run a comprehensive QT on all new fish.
Jay

ru4serious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would quarantine the existing fish, you know they have been exposed to parasites and they could infect in new fish added down the road ,why quarantine new fish and then add them to a tank of fish that wasn't quarantined, sounds like a waste of time to me , also being that your fish are already eating and tank acclimated that they would handle the quarantine alot better than a fish who has been handled , by LFS, wholesalers, collectors, and are stressed .

Back