Upgrading Tank, how to transfer old fish and add new fish at same time...

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI there. We currently have a 93 cube and it's been up and running for a couple years. We have the below list in our tank and they are all happy and doing well. We are also in the process of building our new tank (210) and are looking for advice on transferring the fish as well as adding new fish. I think a couple of my fish my have to go in order to prevent bullying new fish.
Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Larger Sailfin Tang
Anthias
2 Clowns
Blue Damsel with yellow tail (can't remember name)
Coral Banded Shrimp
Fire Shrimp
Blue/Green Chromis
6 line Wrasse
Coral Beauty
Yellow backed Wrasse

We'd like to add a few tangs, a couple wrasses, and something schooling. We're thinking of maybe 3-5 anthias for schooling, a star blenny, a powder blue tang, a couple more yellow tangs and possibly one other type of tang.

So...... we've tried to add some yellow tangs to our tank in the past and it ended badly quickly. So, will that happen in the new tank? Should we rehome the current yellow tang? Same thing with Wrasses, we've tried to add one in the past and the 6 line lived up to his name. Should I rehome him as I bring in new wrasses?

Should the new fish go into the new tank first and then the old fish? Order to adding?

Any advice and/or suggestions would be very helpful. We want the transition to go well. Oh, and the tank is a mostly LPS/Softy tank, but the new tank will also have some sticks.

Thanks

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME your best bet is adding all the tangs together, but there are no guarantees.

I would introduce the 6 line last.

OP
OP
AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @EmdeReef . I definitely know he needs to go last!
I'm still concerned about adding the other fish, and when to add the new fish, before or after the old fish? Also, is my thinking right for the Anthias? Tangs?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing with Wrasses, we've tried to add one in the past and the 6 line lived up to his name. Should I rehome him as I bring in new wrasses?
If you want more wrasses, the sixline must go.

OP
OP
AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @evolved , I was thinking that might be the case. I'd like to keep the yellow side if I can, and potentially add a china wrasse and/or rhomboid.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @evolved , I was thinking that might be the case. I'd like to keep the yellow side if I can, and potentially add a china wrasse and/or rhomboid.
Either or both would be fine in that case.

OP
OP
AquaDaddy

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump, should I just take the new fish and the old fish and dump them in at the same time? I say that tongue and cheek, but I really am looking for advice on best way to move the fish over from old to new while, at the same time, introducing new fish and removing any fish I need to (potentially the 6-line or the coral beauty)

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am facing the same question regarding our upgrade. My plan is to add less aggressive newbies to the big tank, move the fish from the old tank, then add angelfish and tangs last. For tangs I currently only have a tomini though. I may separate him out into a separate tank then reintroduce him with the new tangs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back