Upgrading to a larger tank! 300 litres+

pizzashark94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning / afternoon / evening everyone!

I currently have a Waterbox 25, and a Red Sea Max nano (running two nanos it looks like I am a sucker for punishment!). I am looking to replace the Max Nano with a larger, and hopefully more stable tank. I am considering a few options, and would love any recommendations! I am looking into a Red Sea Reefer 300, DD Reef Pro 900, Waterbox 90.3, or something custom made. From people's experience what would be the best option to me? The issue I've found with my smaller tanks is I am adding extra equipment throughout, when I setup this new tank I want everything to be immediately running straight away. I'd be looking at a couple of wavemakers, a skimmer, two Prime HDs, and anything extra anyone can recommend?

I have an idea of stock at the moment, I have two clownfish to pass over to the new tank (misbar and a black and white), as well as a purple firefish. On top of this I was thinking the following:

Royal Gramma
Scopas Tang (I appreciate the tank may not be big enough for a Scopas)
Kole Tang
Lawnmower Blenny (this is something I am set on having!)
Clownfish (the two in my existing tank)
Firefish

I'd just be keen to hear people's recommendations about the best tank, best equipment, as well as the best stock!

Any help appreciated thank you!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get something with a separate sump as it gives you a lot more cost-effective equipment options (you pay an exorbitant premium for AIO equipment). In terms of tanks it's very much personal preference, but if you're looking at a Red Sea I'd suggest the Reefer 300XL. If you want the best "plug-and-play" tank - get a Cade.

In terms of equipment, anything German is good. I like Nyos for skimmers and Sicce for return pumps, but you have a lot of options. If you're going with AI lights I might suggest a pair of Nero 3/5s so you can control them through the same app.

Fish list is fine with the possible exceptions of the tangs (they'll be fine for a few years, but then you'll need to look at rehoming or upgrading).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back