Upgrading to a new tank?

Bogey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am move 2 biocubes, each 16 gallons, into a Nuvo 40 gallon.
Anything I should be checking or doing to make the move better?

FB18F467-804E-49F8-8209-B6516F656B2F.jpeg E5CA59EE-1527-4CC3-8150-2E9A2F3AD53B.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of concerns do you have? I've researched a little because I'm upgrading my 90 gallon soon

OP
OP
Bogey

Bogey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of concerns do you have? I've researched a little because I'm upgrading my 90 gallon soon
Pulling two tanks into one, do I just use water from one tank and acclimate the other or are you both.
And has anybody else had concern?

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the tanks doing now? If either or both have a build up of detritus this would be a great time to clean it up. I would probably get new sand and add a couple of cups of the old sand from each tank to get the bio diversity of both tanks but not move over the detritus.
I would use all your old rocks, but I would probably go with a fresh start on the water as well.
A lot of this would depend on how old/established the tanks being transferred are.

OP
OP
Bogey

Bogey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the tanks doing now? If either or both have a build up of detritus this would be a great time to clean it up. I would probably get new sand and add a couple of cups of the old sand from each tank to get the bio diversity of both tanks but not move over the detritus.
I would use all your old rocks, but I would probably go with a fresh start on the water as well.
A lot of this would depend on how old/established the tanks being transferred are.
Thank you, the tanks are about seven months old, they are doing great, the coral and fish are happy, the coralline informing well, I do have a bit of algae I one of them.
So, you say all new water?

Adventures In Reefing

Semper Fidelis
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the same rock and same water but I would use new sand if you like a sand bottom. You will get nasty spikes if you use the same sand and it will set you back a while. It will still cycle as the glass and other new bits have to get coated but it should be safe for your critters. Every time I do what you are doing I use new sand, same rock, same water and dose STABILITY daily for the fist 10 days then every 3 weeks after that. I have had really good results with very little loss doing it that way.

OP
OP
Bogey

Bogey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use the same rock and same water but I would use new sand if you like a sand bottom. You will get nasty spikes if you use the same sand and it will set you back a while. It will still cycle as the glass and other new bits have to get coated but it should be safe for your critters. Every time I do what you are doing I use new sand, same rock, same water and dose STABILITY daily for the fist 10 days then every 3 weeks after that. I have had really good results with very little loss doing it that way.
Thanks for the help!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 66 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back