Upgrading to a red sea 170, light, skimmer and general moving questions!!

Floedog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooo.... I did a thing... hit the jackpot and got a year old red sea reefer 170 off the marketplace for $750... so imma upgrade, I'm keeping my return pump, it's a sicce 3.0 sdc, I also have 2 vortech mp10s. So, my questions are, how to make the move and what light and skimmer??? I currently have a fluval flex 32.5... any insite on the move would be helpful also!

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Red Sea line of skimmers as they have the manual neck cleaner and a drain hose for easy emptying. The 300 should be plenty.

Light will depend on your coral preferences. Most brands will have a light that will work. AI Prime 16/Hydra 32, RedSea LED 90/160, Kessil A360x, or Radion XR15/30. You can probably use the smaller version from most brands and be fine with a large variety of corals. I’ve used all of the above. I like the controllability of the AI and Radion lights in the app, but the RedSea lights are easier to program as it’s just three channels: blue, white, and moonlight.

OP
OP
Floedog

Floedog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I like the Red Sea line of skimmers as they have the manual neck cleaner and a drain hose for easy emptying. The 300 should be plenty.

Light will depend on your coral preferences. Most brands will have a light that will work. AI Prime 16/Hydra 32, RedSea LED 90/160, Kessil A360x, or Radion XR15/30. You can probably use the smaller version from most brands and be fine with a large variety of corals. I’ve used all of the above. I like the controllability of the AI and Radion lights in the app, but the RedSea lights are easier to program as it’s just three channels: blue, white, and moonlig
I was hoping to get away with ai prime 16, but i do not want to be limited. I'm not sure if I should go hydra 32

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I was hoping to get away with ai prime 16, but i do not want to be limited. I'm not sure if I should go hydra 32
You can certainly get away with the prime if you were not going to keep high light corals. I have a few customers that run a prime over 32 bio cube that are able to keep montis and some easier SPS corals

OP
OP
Floedog

Floedog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly get away with the prime if you were not going to keep high light corals. I have a few customers that run a prime over 32 bio cube that are able to keep montis and some easier SPS corals
What would you suggest best bang for the buck out of what you listed? The ai primes?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the redsea 90s on my xl300. This was right before the g5 release. Ugh bad timing. If I could redo I’d get the g5 xr15 s. Oh and I have the redsea 300 skimmer. Works great. Good luck w new build

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back