Upsize to a new tank (Red Sea Reefer XXL 625)?

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two "truths" about (marine) fishkeeping:

1. We don't keep Fish - we keep (or maintain) water...
2. It is not IF you will upgrade, but WHEN you will (inevitably) upsize (or change) your Tank.

On the second point, I have a Juwel Vision 180 LED Marine Aquarium. It is really a Juwel Tropical Tank with the two LED lights exchanged for a Blue and Marine versions (19W + 19W). I previously kept Marine Fish about 35 years ago, and remembering that Juwel made AIO tanks, I thought it would make a "good" tank (what do I know) to get back into the hobby - Juwel can be trusted to not make too many mistakes (so I thought). I didn't realise that Juwel no longer (if ever) make Marine tanks - their market is for Tropical (like RS is for Marine). This makes for an "interesting" chat when I called them. It seems that their UK Wholesaler bought the existing Stock and "converted" the Tropical Kits by exchanging the two existing Tropical bulbs for Marine ones - even the labelling looks "authentic" and fooled me for a few months... So Juwel don't have Marine Tanks in their catalogue (portfolio), don't sell a Marine version of their LED light, but do have LED replacement bulbs... They also don't discuss what they don't have to sell, but seem to be aware of the "arrangement". I guess you could say buyer, beware! After only a short time (the tank is barely through the setup cycle) I'm trying to put "right" some issues and it is either "fix up" what I have or "start over" and currently, that is what I have decided to do. A new Tank is ordered, but the questions remain, did I get the size (and version right)... Whilst there are other choices like Waterbox or D&D Solutions, I don't want to add these into the "running", just to keep it "simple".

My interest is to have a Mixed Reef tank, I have a Percula Clown, a Cleaner Shrimp and very small Cleaner Crew (the shrimp, two snails and two Hermit crabs). I also have a Goby and a Blenny that are in the QT and not quite ready for the DT. The Clown went through a QT tank I setup in parallel for just over a month before being set free in the DT. The tank is AIO, but I use a Tunze Protein Skimmer and a Tunze ATO. There is also a Sicce PowerHead for additional flow. Previously, I had Marine (and Tropical and later Cold Water fish) and used an external Cannister Filter and reverse flow underground filters - times change.

The three issues I have are:

1. Lighting is inadequate and options to upgrade it are limited (or too expensive);
2. Not having a Sump is OK and the Juwel Filter works well enough but each additional piece of Equipment is (inevitably) on display;
3. Tank is bigger than I previously had - it is 180 litres, but small enough to be a bit limiting for Fish e.g. no Tangs etc.

1. The Tank has some green algae starting to appear in just a few places on my two main rock arrangements. These are Life rocks (natural but not seen the ocean for thousands of years). I followed the Red Sea’s Reef Mature Pro Recipe and now have NoPoX and also the powdered versions of Foundation supplements. At the moment it's only the small daily addition of addition of NoPoX and Foundation B (Alk). I thought the curved Vision was good "thing" but it is now starting to irritate my (tired old) eyes - so perhaps rectangle/boring is best.

I did some experiments with my DT and QT and tried to measure the light differences - my DT is visually much dimmer than the QT and using a phone in a plastic bag, I estimated the light in the lower parts as being about 45-50 PAR in the DT - not too much. I never intended to keep SPS, but even so, it is (potentially) not so great, even for Softies or LPS. The quality of light is also perhaps not the best "mix" and towards the back of the Tank there is a blue (almost Disco like) colour cast - if you look for it. Whilst extra Lights can be bought, the idea of adding £ 600 - £ 800 of additional lighting to a £ 400 Aquarium Tank setup doesn't seem right, but YMMV.

2. I thought not having a Sump was OK, but inevitably adding any new equipment would make the tank look a bit "busy". The tank is (probably) plate glass so it could be drilled for connecting a Sump. The Manufacturer suggests it may be toughened but the Wholesaler that it's not (easily checked with light from a phone and polarising sunglasses). The Juwel cabinet has three sections (doors) and I could remove the two internal dividers, put additional bracking at the top (2" x 4") supported up the sides and add a Sump. Whilst it "could" be done, it doesn't seem right. Conditions in the Juwel are fine and Nitrate is about 2 ppm with other conditions almost exactly matching the RS Recipe I'm following. The Cabinet has a good build quality, the Tank has (perhaps) a not very well finished LH silicone sealing - I'm discussing with my Dealer and the Wholesaler to see if it can be fixed/replaced. When you (inevitably) look at other "stuff", the existing stuff can look a bit too "entry level"...

3. I put the Tank in the Dining Room - it is to the right of the window and 90cm wide Tanks looks OK whereas a 120cm wide Tank would start to interfere with the window and curtains (on the long wall). If getting a bigger tank, I could accommodate a 120cm tank on the next wall. So, my next big idea, was rearranging the Sitting Room and considering how big a Tank would look OK. Physically, I have one side that has a central fireplace and (now) free space on the LH side where I could put a OTT3m tank... but, I made a scale drawing using a simple CAD program and can swap in 120cm, 150cm or 180cm Tanks to see how they might "look". The conclusion I reached is that the 120cm Tank looks a bit small (upgrade the "upgrade" before too long?), 150cm OK and 180cm, perhaps too big - for the space. 150cm is about 10cm longer than a TV stand on the RH side - so the two are "balanced" or a 120cm is about 20cm shorter - but in "real life" both would look about the same. I'm aiming to not have too much of an in-balance e.g. a 200cm tank vs 140cm unit - if that makes sense.

Long story short, I started to look at the Red Sea 525 Tank, decided that the extra width/height of the 625 would be acceptable (and welcome) but a bigger Tank like the 750 would be just too overpowering for the available space. Getting "approval" for putting a Tank in the Sitting Room was much easier than I imagined. The "approval" was an easy "sell" because the existing DT limits fish choice for the "Approver", but YMMV.

My LFS has Red Sea Tanks and compared to my Juwel Vision (curved front) they do look good. For the size I'm opting for there are two models:

a. Red Sea Reefer XXL 625
b. Red Sea Reefer 625 G2

Although the XXL 625 is no longer in the RS range it is still available. I watched all the RS videos and whilst their claims for the new Tank look good, there does seem to be a big "overhang/overlap" between what they are touting as "new" and what is already in their previous version. Would it be mistake to buy the XXL 625 now that there is a 625 G2?

The 625 G2 has twin output nozzles - whereas the XXL 625 looks to only have a movable single output. Considering that RS tout a high Return {ump throughput, they should really have provided a Twin Nozzle and they do have a Y shaped Add-On for £8 that directs the flow more to the sides than to the front (or rearranged) more to the side. The XXL 625 has the black coloured Valve that is now "red" on the new one. I don't know how much this has changed (the red pipes on the G2 look nice - but to me also a bit garish, too). Currently, the XXL 625 is still available, so this was my preferred choice (overall about £ 550 cheaper). RS prices seem to be "fixed" here in the UK, but I have found a Dealer to give 10% off all additional equipment - costs quickly double/tripple up - LOL! Whilst, I have some regrets about the journey into Juwel, that's OK.

So, I'm sitting on my hands, awaiting the kit to be ordered next week and wondering if I made the right choice. If I procrastinated, the option to get the XXL 625 would inevitably be removed. That's either a good or bad thing... to keep things "simple" I have specc'ed a RS Skimmer, Fleece Roller, Wavemakers and Doser. There are probably other valid choices - I just wanted to keep it "simple". I do like the RS Recipes and RS Marketing aside, quite like their Tanks, too.

Simon

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer (I did read through everything) - get the 625 G2. Reasons to upgrade:
* Twin return nozzles (big plus)
* New precision overflow valve
* Removable filter tray (which can be reinserted)
* ReefMat ready (plus)
* Red/black plumbing (aesthetics)
* Higher resale value

Other items I would look at getting:
* Sliding door panel
* ReefDose 4
* Adaptive Reef controller panel (mounts to sliding door)
* ReefMat 500
* 2x ReefWave45s

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer (I did read through everything) - get the 625 G2. Reasons to upgrade:
* Twin return nozzles (big plus)
* New precision overflow valve
* Removable filter tray (which can be reinserted)
* ReefMat ready (plus)
* Red/black plumbing (aesthetics)
* Higher resale value

Other items I would look at getting:
* Sliding door panel
* ReefDose 4
* Adaptive Reef controller panel (mounts to sliding door)
* ReefMat 500
* 2x ReefWave45s

Which RS Skimmer to get and what are credible alternatives to consider? Does a RS Skimmer use a (fixed speed) AC motor and the air is varied or is the air fixed and the motor speed varied (like my Tunze)?

RS offer a Y converter for their previous range. Why its an option and not included (only £8) when the quoted flow rates is a surprise to me. But nozzles at both ends is a welcome addition.

With a RS Tank, is flexible tubing also supplied and so only needs to be cut to length to match with the "chosen" Return Pump?

The removable filter tray and ReefMat ready are really the same thing. Plug and play to switch over to the ReefMat. I saw one in LFS and it looks to be nice kit, so I can't see many folks passing up on getting one with G2 tanks.

Is the Red plumbing also carried over to the overflow valve - colour and not internal updates would be joke. If you have a warranty issue with the old one, I wonder what it gets replaced with?

One difference I spotted is an additional brace in the middle of the sump side of the cabinet. I believe RS also give existing customers one if they notice a problem, for free.

A (not so local) LFS told me that the RS ReefMat comes with the cut-out kit. Makes sense because how would the majority of owners install it? Another LFS said that the cut-out kit wasn't able to be ordered, but another quoted £15.

The unique selling point (USP) of the new G2 tanks is clearly that they are ReefMat ready. Since cleaning socks isn't everyone's idea of fun, I can see the attraction. One alternative suggested is nylon bags and filter floss that is tossed every couple of days - a good/bad idea?

The RS Wizard suggests for a 625 G2, is a RSK-900 and ReefMat 1200. But I'm more inclined to get a RSK-600 skimmer and a ReefMat 500. The reason being that they are all good, but the combined width is 13cm less (about 5") and space in a Sump is (perhaps) always an issue - more space is always welcome?

I notice that there are G2 tanks, but also incremental improvements on the older tanks. 625 XXL has a V3 sump - so design (ReefMat ready, aside ) is almost identical. One difference is that where they made it ReefMat plug and play, they also dropped the 2nd refugium slot. So it's either in out out and not in, in further back or out.

One thing on RS Tanks I hear is Armor. Like a hard plastic triangle fillet on the internal edges. I think the idea is to prevent over enthusiastic cleaning operations from puncturing the silicone and causing a problem. Perhaps all their tanks have had it (at least for a while)? Not mentioned in the RS Marketing videos, so not new? Or I have my wires crossed?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC Skimmer or Return Pump, means a fixed speed (throughput) even if the voltage varies? My supply is 230v but can reach 247v or go lower. Frequency stays very constant @ 50Hz. Regulation of speed would be better with D.C. Products?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Answers...
* No, Red Sea doesn't provide flexible tubing for the return pump.
* Lots of people run the media cups with filter floss, so yes - that's always an option.
* Either a RSK-600 or RSK-900 would be dine, but I wouldn't get the ReefMat 1200 (too large).
* Only some of the tanks had the "armored" corners (750 and up), but this has been extended to at least the 625.
* I prefer DC return pumps (variable speeds). For skimmers and reactors an AC pump is fine.

OP
OP
S

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* No, RS doesn't provide flexible tubing;
Thanks for ALL the replies, I asked the Dealer to supply tubing for my DC Return Pump and 25mm is largest size for connecting the 625, hence Eheim 1m x 25mm ID provided (FOC).

I also have to source 2x plastic clips for this and another plastic clip for connecting ReefMat fixed plumbing.

* Lots of people run the media cups with filter floss;
* Either a RSK-600 or RSK-900 would be fine;
Using media cups with filter floss is OK, but I saw the smaller ReefMat 500 at LFS and so I had to order one!

* Only some tanks had the "armoured" corners, extended to at least 625;
I didn't think it was "new" and it's nice feature.

Looking forward to getting my 625 G2 and at least there is somethings that justify the small price increase (for me), now that the XXL 625 are sold.

* I prefer DC return pumps (variable speeds). For skimmers and reactors an AC pump is fine;
The DC Return Pump I picked was recommended and has 20 settings over 30% - 100% and rated up to 6000 lph @ 1.5m. So there should be a suitable throughput for the 625 G2.

An AC pump can vary the throughput with changing voltage supply. 24V DC for the Return Pump for stability and AC for the Skimmer.

Whilst there are many options available, from many Vendors, I ordered the 625 G2 Tank (small price hike vs older XXL 625), with Red Sea options (where possible):

625 G2 Tank and Cabinet;
ReefLED 90 3x;
RSK-600 Skimmer;
ReefMat 500;
ReefWave 45 2x;
ReefDose 4 + Tube Set;
Net Cover and 3x Zig-Zags.

I didn't follow the MyREEFER Wizard for Skimmer and ReefMat. 900's and 1200's are (for me) too big for the available Sump space.

For lighting and SPS, I wanted even coverage of three lights and a lower overall height vs ReefLED 160's.

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might need to add an led bar like orphek or quanta pro to get that full coverage for sps. I would try to exchange the tank for the new one if you could as they seem to have beefed up the seams of the tank in general and the tank has the same dimensions as the xxl 625, but it isnt a big deal.
Im not sure but i think the new tank is made to accommodate the reef mat as well not as sure about the older ones so that may be a good reason to switch the tank as you already bought the filter roller mat

OP
OP
S

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to exchange the tank for the new one if you could as they seem to have beefed up the seams of the tank in general;
Just to be clear, my order was for a XXL 625 but because they "sold out", I switched to the 625 G2 - slightly increase in price.

I didn't have plans for the ReefMat before I ordered the 625 G2. I have ordered the 500 and also the midsize 600 Skimmer.

If the seams are improved (seems they are on 625 G2), then that is a good thing.
Im not sure but i think the new tank is made to accommodate the reef mat as well not as sure about the older ones.
The new G2 models, including the 625 G2 are sold as ReefMat Ready.

There are however options for using a ReefMat on the older XXL 625 and one of these doesn't require modifying the Tank. You do have to cut two pipes, but these are easily repaired/replaced.

The older XXL 625 can also keep the Reservoir above the Sump Sock Area and still support a ReefMat and a Skimmer.

Interestingly, sine the 625 G2 Sump is the same size and layout, this (hopefully) means that I can use the Sump and still keep the Reservoir.

Red Sea didn't think to also provide a shelf in the Chiller side of the cabinet, so moving the Reservoir across, isn't an easy option.

OP
OP
S

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
* Lots of people run the media cups with filter floss, so yes - that's always an option.
* Either a RSK-600 or RSK-900 would be fine, but I wouldn't get the ReefMat 1200 (too large).
I did go with the RSK-600 and the ReefMat 500. My reason for going with the smaller Skimmer and ReefMat was initially to allow me to use the REEFER included Reservoir. I did get these in the Sump: LHS (back) Skimmer, Middle - Reservoir and RHS (front) ReefMat. Whilst this does provide clearance (less than an inch either side of the Reservoir) it is a bit of a squeeze for maintenance of the Skimmer or access to the Return Chamber. Also, to fill the Reservoir required me to empty RO/DI Water into a Plaster's Bucket and then pump it into the Reservoir.

Since I already had a Tunze ATO from a previous Tank, I switched to using this to pump RO/DI water from a 25 litre Storage Container. So, I removed the Reservoir from the Sump. Switching over the Storage Container for a new one with RO/DI Water simplifies the maintenance - no need to use the Bucket and/or Pump. I swap the Storage Container before it runs out and fill it back up with fresh RO/DI water for next time - the Pump never runs dry.

I have also wanted to install a UV Steraliser above the Sump but not in the Chiller Cabinet Area. This became possible with the removal of the Reservoir - I installed it on the back wall with a one inch spacer so that any potential leaks drain into the Sump and the back wall of the Sump doesn't snag the plumbing - I couldn't be happier.

One issue with choosing the ReefMat 500 (for me) is that the "quoted" Flow Rate of 6000 LPH didn't work. As the Flow Rate is turned up, the volume of water increases in the ReefMat so that the difference between the top level and the after advance level becomes quite small. This increases the number of advances and the overall amount or Fleece Roll used.

I have switched to using the ReefMat 1200. I sold the ReefMat 500 - the "loss" was only about two of the bigger Fleece Rolls which I judged was acceptable on a nearly new item. If you do the Maths, the bigger Fleece Roll costs more but has a bigger surface area. This, coupled with the unused areas at the sides makes it much more economical to run.

The ReefMat 1200 does take up a good chunk of the Sump e.g. on the RHS but (for me) that is OK. It also sits deeper in the Sump as it is about two inches higher. The area of filter is also much bigger. It advances more slowly and the difference in water height is greater than before - so I couldn't be happier.

I operate a very clean Sump - and the ReefMat does a brilliant job of maintaining it. For a few weeks, I couldn't get the bigger ReefMat so I switched to Socks using the ones included. I now appreciate why theses are not the solution for everyone because I was constantly worrying about changing out Floss and the gurgle of water over the four Socks was too much for me, so the ReefMat couldn't come quickly enough.

Summary: I liked the ReefMat 500 but now much prefer the ReefMat 1200. The removal of the Reservoir also allowed me to include a UV Steriliser in the Sump area and makes maintenance easier. Higher Flow Rates are also possible and the cost to replace an equivalent area of Fleece Roll becomes more cost effective.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still running the ReefMat 500 in my 750XXL; flow and water height in haven't been issues (I do run through a roll in 2 weeks though - but my tank is also heavily stocked). I probably would've gone with the 1200 but they (and the fleece rolls) are endangered species up here in Canada, so...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back