urchin and 2 sea stars together in 65gallon?

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,so i want to put in my 65gallon tank a mespillia globulus urchin a fromia indica starfish and a sand shifting starfish but i was worried because i've read that the fromia indica starfish eats algae along with detritus and other small organisms.I have around 20kg of live rock in the tank and dead aragonite for substrate.The tank was running for about 8 years but early november i think the tank made another cycle.So is it ok to put the urchin and the 2 sea stars together in the tank?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red starfish and sand shifter in a 40 gal , they are doing well and growing , I also keep the tank dirty with around 20ppm of nitrates so there is plenty food sources available. Maybe not all at the same time I would introduce but you should be ok depending on the tank micro fauna

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red starfish and sand shifter in a 40 gal , they are doing well and growing , I also keep the tank dirty with around 20ppm of nitrates so there is plenty food sources available. Maybe not all at the same time I would introduce but you should be ok depending on the tank micro fauna
My concerns are that my urchin will not leave enough algae for the starfish.My last globulus urchin cleaned 80% of my rocks in just a week so if this guy is the same i will probably have food issues...

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concerns are that my urchin will not leave enough algae for the starfish.My last globulus urchin cleaned 80% of my rocks in just a week so if this guy is the same i will probably have food issues...
Ye I had to give away a long spine urchin , it was the size of a dinner plate with no stopping soon, I also keep a lot of macro algae in my display , so there is always something to eat. Lol I have many inverts I also have a sea hare and it’s so cool, doesn’t eat as much as urchin

OP
OP
reef4life!!!

reef4life!!!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye I had to give away a long spine urchin , it was the size of a dinner plate with no stopping soon, I also keep a lot of macro algae in my display , so there is always something to eat. Lol I have many inverts I also have a sea hare and it’s so cool, doesn’t eat as much as urchin
haha really? i've read that a sea hare could wipe out all the algae in very little time...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back