Urchin Dying? High Nitrates!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ave five different urchins in my tank for at least 3 years with nitrates 20-25 most of that time. For a while they were around 50, but I installed an ATS to lower them. Then they dropped to zero and none of my corals were happy. So I reduced my light schedule on my ATS until they went back up to 20.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.25 is a NORM and 5 would be high for them.

What?
Levels that low are asking for dino's. This thinking of ULNS really needs to die.

I purposely keep my nitrates in the 8 to 10 range. All 3 of my urchins are just fine and have been for years.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What?
Levels that low are asking for dino's. This thinking of ULNS really needs to die.

I purposely keep my nitrates in the 8 to 10 range. All 3 of my urchins are just fine and have been for years.
It varies with urchin type and type of livestock as to nitrate and phosphate levels that are acceptable

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What?

This thinking of your way is the right way needs to go away. Reefers have great success in many different ways.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thinking of your way is the right way needs to go away. Reefers have great success in many different ways.

My way of thinking? Never said that, just that ULNS way of thinking needs to die off.

We all know ULNS doesn't work and the hobby is slowly getting away from it.

Kind of funny seeing as everyone in this thread that responded has nitrate all over the place, but all are over 0.25 and all of their livestock, including urchins is just fine.

So I guess it's not right to point out blatantly wrong posts anymore? And we should just let wrong information be posted?

Yup sorry, unless they remove me from these boards, it's never going to happen.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many beautiful and successful tanks that are ULN. Not everyone wants to maintain the typical 5-10 nitrate 0.03 phosphate.
Success can be had outside of those ranges. Even urchins.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure some absolutely gorgeous tanks that are ULN but IMO the system doesn’t work for me.

I also think it’s not really a great goal for someone just starting a tank because they normally don’t have enough fish with enough water volume. So low nutrients get used up and quickly and go to 0, which I think we all can agree is not good for corals and algae.

I think people with larger tanks with large fish and a lot of corals can get away with low nutrients And have great results because they have a nonstop supply of ammonia to keep the corals and algae happy with enough nitrogen. They also have enough phosphate going in with all the food they feed.

IMO it’s harder for a new tank to succeed with a NO3 of 0.5 and PO4 of 0.01 than with a goal of NO3 5-10 and PO4 0.05-0.1. The latter gives a lot more room for error. And most of us need that extra room for error.

OP
OP
Y

Yellow17165161

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again everyone! I like reading everyone’s opinions on these things. So far the urchin has been good, and eating a lot. He is wearing the hair algae as opposed to eating it but hopefully he gets the rest and I can manually remove the hair algae!

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. If you have long algae, pull it out yourself. U\rnchins often have a hard time with long algae, but can eat it when it is cropped

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Thales makes a good point. There are very few CUC members that like long hair algae. But if you remove the long stuff they will eat the new growth.

If you can, remove the rocks one at a time and scrub the hair algae off next time you do a water change, scrub the long algae off in your waste saltwater from the water change.

If you can’t remove the rocks, You can order some plastic eyebrow brushes to twirl the long algae and remove it.

pezcadoazul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos is supposably the best for Nitrate since it's easy to read and quick. But I've used Red Sea forever and haven't had any issues.
I agree that the Nyos test is easy to read but I find the powered reagents difficult to use. It is difficult to level them in the measuring spoon with some powder flying into the air. I also find the Api test difficult to read - what lighting is ideal and exactly how should the test tube be placed with respect to the colored test card?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back