Urchin in an acrylic tank?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered a new acrylic tank and currently have an urchin. I ordered him from my LFS as a tuxedo, but I think he's a Halloween urchin instead. I am looking for personal experience with these in an acrylic tank. I've had a tuxedo in an acrylic tank years ago and don't remember it causing any issues, but I see some accounts of scratching issues with an internet search (though much of it is second hand and no pictures that I've found). In my other two acrylic tanks, there were very, very few scratches that were visible when the tank was filled (more when it was drained of course) and those large ones were not from my urchin (banging a rock against the acrylic is bound to cause some damage LOL).

Anyone have personal experience, and a bonus given for photos of any scratches? I'd hate to get rid of him. I’ve had him almost a year.

BF223432-79A8-4A2C-B7E7-1CAF94CB25CE.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuxedo won't scratch acrylic in my experience but some of the others will. You can experiment with a piece of acrylic in your existing tank before deciding what to do.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much a scratching risk, but they can take bites out of acrylic if they get hungry enough.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuxedo won't scratch acrylic in my experience but some of the others will. You can experiment with a piece of acrylic in your existing tank before deciding what to do.
What do you think about my guy? He's kind of halfway in between a tuxedo and a pincushion I think. I'll see if I have any acrylic laying around - I have time as it'll probably be September before my tank is ready.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think about my guy? He's kind of halfway in between a tuxedo and a pincushion I think. I'll see if I have any acrylic laying around - I have time as it'll probably be September before my tank is ready.

Sorry but I don't have any specific experince with that species in an acrylic tank. I have had pink short spine and diadem and Tuxedo in acrylic and Tuxedo is the only one that didn't scratch acrylic

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back