Urchin QT time

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. so i have a situation. I need to add some urchins asap.. i have a 20 gallon tank that i use as a qt for inverts.. snails hermits ect.. what is the time period to QT urchins.. no fish in this tank.. thoughts please.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30-45 days at 80 degrees. However, if the urchins comes from a source where there is for sure no ich or other issues, I wouldn't qt if it you need them immediately.

What is it that you need them for to solve asap?

Last edited:
OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae growth in reef tank. Years ago I used urchins to hit the algae and they worked nicely. Have not used them for par 15 years.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae growth in reef tank. Years ago I used urchins to hit the algae and they worked nicely. Have not used them for par 15 years.

In that case it really just comes down to your risk management preference. Out of curiosity, what algae is it?

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae is kinda strange brown.. but not diatoms.... will put under the scope tommorrow.. take a good close look.... the filter floss is brown like after a few days ... I am thinking this might be due to light spectrum.. when the lights were only one for a few hours a day .. i tried this for a week... was more green...

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your worried about ich. It has a period where it goes dormant and requires fish to go on. You could do a 7-14 day qt on them likely or less with no problem. Urchins can get worms, but only worms that affect the urchin itself.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if they encyst on a substrate they can be encysted for over 28 days. Says his article. I've never had any problems just qt for a few days and a good rinse like you said.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back