URGENT: Captive Yellow Tang in bag still

csund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large volumes/priority shipping. Not just one small box that gets lost easily. Or they drive to the wholesaler themselves.
If my LFS drove to a wholesaler to pick up fish they’d be a big a whole lot longer than overnight!

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my LFS drove to a wholesaler to pick up fish they’d be a big a whole lot longer than overnight!
In that case he could drop them in the back of his van in plastic containers with heaters/airstones etcetera.
Just don't leave a fish in a small plastic enclosed bag for more than 24 hours, it's animal cruelty and if it was up to me forbidden. It goes wrong too many times.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case he could drop them in the back of his van in plastic containers with heaters/airstones etcetera.
Just don't leave a fish in a small plastic enclosed bag for more than 24 hours, it's animal cruelty and if it was up to me forbidden. It goes wrong too many times.
If that's how you feel, how do you justify participating in this hobby?.Animals are flown 15,000 miles and vast numbers of them die. This is a captive bred fish and the issues here are not related to shipping.

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading such stories almost every day. i can't believe what we're doing to animals. Imagine being put in a box with oxygen for 24 hours and nobody is gonna get you out.

People, please drive to a lfs yourself.
How do you think LFS get their fish?

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At a minimum it needs tlc. Its beat up forsure. I would immediately start feeding a good quality food soaked in selcon. Either frozen, or pellet. That will help it put on some weight and boost the immune system. Not sure what you are gaining by leaving it in a bag.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you think LFS get their fish?
I wrote this already, lfs get their fish with large priority shippings, not just one small single box that gets lost easily.
I have nothing against overnight shipping when done well, i just read too many stories of the shipment getting lost or delayed.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's how you feel, how do you justify participating in this hobby?.Animals are flown 15,000 miles and vast numbers of them die. This is a captive bred fish and the issues here are not related to shipping.
I justify participating in this hobby with aquacultured stuff, nothing from the ocean! It's as simple as that.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I justify participating in this hobby with aquacultured stuff, nothing from the ocean! It's as simple as that.
But it comes in a box! With minimal water volume. Hard to justify. They ship with very little water because shipping costs are so high.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came across this thread… my baby Biota Yellow Tang came looking the same as yours, minus the nipped fins. She’s been doing great and eating well. I feed her lots of nori, Spirulina brine shrimp, LRS Herbivore Frenzy, etc.
I have to say though, I haven’t been terribly impressed with Biota though. The first tang they shipped to me was lost after bad weather (IMO, they should have checked the weather before shipping as the giant snowstorm was all over the news) and while I know they have no control over UPS, it’s just a shame to know the first baby had such a sad ending. The package was never recovered as far as I know.
After reading several more threads here and articles in other places, it seems that many of their CB yellow tangs end up with HLLE. I’m happy to have my little guy but had I known about the HLLE issues prior, I probably would have held off on getting him. For now, I’m just going to make sure he gets all the nutrition he needs and get him as healthy as he can be. Maybe some of the scarring can be reversed over time.

My understanding is that Biota is now offering older YT that have grown a bit more (and cost more of course). This seems to help with the epithelial thinning issue.

Overnight shipping is really risky, even more so in the winter. I've done hundreds of FedEx shipments and in the winter, I calculate a 5 to 10% loss rate. It's a hassle, but for larger shipments, air cargo with no transfers is always the way to go....costs less as well.

One big issue with overnights - you can have good weather at the shipper's location, and good weather at the destination, but these shipments go through "hubs" and if they have bad weather, you can still lose fish. One FedEx hub is Memphis. I also try not to ship west to east. They lose hours with the time change and that means the shipment sometimes misses the outgoing truck at the sort facility.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back