OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*stuck together by superglue - he went picking at a drag I just stuck down and the glue has got over him. The glue is hardened and he can’t move his front legs. Should I remove him and pull the glue away? Though I worry it could damage him. Could he shed and get rid of it?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*stuck together by superglue - he went picking at a drag I just stuck down and the glue has got over him. The glue is hardened and he can’t move his front legs. Should I remove him and pull the glue away? Though I worry it could damage him. Could he shed and get rid of it?
When I glue frags I place them in a container of tank water until the glue hardens and then put in DT. You will prevent this from happening.

OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I glue frags I place them in a container of tank water until the glue hardens and then put in DT. You will prevent this from happening.
It was to attach a frag plug to the rock work so couldn’t really do that, but definitely do need to take more care next time.
Or tell him to stop sniffing the stuff

OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. So the simple presence of having the glue stuck on him will not kill him it’s more of he is unable to feed, gets stuck etc?
I am considering removing by hand as like you said he could be hindered by it but I am worried the stress of trying to take it off could kill him.
Since it doesn’t seem immediately life threatening I might see how he does over night, and if it’s still there give a go removing.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. So the simple presence of having the glue stuck on him will not kill him it’s more of he is unable to feed, gets stuck etc?
I am considering removing by hand as like you said he could be hindered by it but I am worried the stress of trying to take it off could kill him.
Since it doesn’t seem immediately life threatening I might see how he does over night, and if it’s still there give a go removing.
The glue isn’t toxic or anything, it’s like having only one leg, no arms and no prosthetic. The condition isn’t life threatening but you will have limited movement, it will take a lot of effort to move, and it would be difficult to gather food. I’d go with your plan and remove it soon :)

ShariC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this happen before and was pretty freaked out by it. By the next day he had most of it off and was fine. It made me more careful to keep them away for a while, though. They're so curious about anything new!

OP
OP
PeterLL

PeterLL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panic relatively over :) :) :)

The big chunk is come away, all legs are separated. One pincer has a tiny tiny bit of glue which is stopping him open them, but he has one free pincer he can use to eat so hopefully he is all good after his next molt.

Thank you everyone for your help and reassurance!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back