Urgent! Dose kanaplex in display tank for treatment?

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Past few days i realised a couple of fishes in my display tank is having bacterial infection and I'm not able to catch any of them out.

I don't really have any coral in my tank except few snails and discosoma.

Those infected fish is not eating now, may I know can I dose kanaplex directly into the tank for treatment?

If yes, do I need to turn off my skimmer?

Is there any other thing that I need to take note of?

#reefsquad

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good idea to dose antibiotics into the display tank. The bio film can develop immunity to the meds and then later when you need them, they may not be effective. And some meds will hurt inverts and corals.

Most antibiotics can be dosed in a 30 minute bath and double the dosage used for a QT.

To catch difficult fish. Wait until the tank and room is dark for at least a couple of hours. Using a small flashlight find the fish and shine the light into the eyes and hold it there. It will mesmerize the fish making it easy to net the fish.

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good idea to dose antibiotics into the display tank. The bio film can develop immunity to the meds and then later when you need them, they may not be effective. And some meds will hurt inverts and corals.

Most antibiotics can be dosed in a 30 minute bath and double the dosage used for a QT.

To catch difficult fish. Wait until the tank and room is dark for at least a couple of hours. Using a small flashlight find the fish and shine the light into the eyes and hold it there. It will mesmerize the fish making it easy to net the fish.

They are all hiding in the rock work which make it quite destructive to catch them out.

I'm also worried that the infection will spread to the rest of the fish which I hope to treat all of them.

I do understand the bio film will also degrade the medication.

This is the first time i treating the fish in my display tank, do you think i should try it out for once?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only med I'd dose into a reef tank is Ruby Reef Rally. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities and should work well for mild bacterial infections.

OP
OP
indeco

indeco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only med I'd dose into a reef tank is Ruby Reef Rally. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities and should work well for mild bacterial infections.

oh ok, thanks for the help. Appreciated!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back