URGENT: Lost 6 fish in 40 hours. I'm desperate.

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Please I'm urging for help. I have a RedSea 525XL that has being setup for almost a year. Everything was perfect last week. Fish super happy, corals doing great and then suddenly yesterday I saw that all my fish were acting really weird going to the cleaner shrimp, blood shrimp all the time. I immediately start to keep my eye in the tank. I inspected all of the fish and some of them showed this this light whiteish coat (look like velvet). Today 5 of them were DEAD. 2 Skunk Clowns, 1 Firefish, 1 Kole Tang, 1 Royal Gramma. My anthias now are sowing the same thing. They ate it but not with the ferocity that they used to.

Guys this tank means the world to me. I literally took 10 days of my vacation to have time to figure what's going on.

I also noticed that when I removed the fish my arms were itching like crazy from like 2 minutes. That never happened.

My water parameters seems to be spot on. I'm super diligent with my tank and water changes. My feeding habits are nori, pemysis, fresh little neck clams and some pellets.

I did my best to take some good pictures. I'm afraid I might loose all of them. Unfortunately I don't have a QT tank. I have these fish for 6 months and never added a single thing since then. So I'm wondering where the plague came from? From the clams? The mysis? Low PH? Algae Turf Scrubber? The RedSea Carbon that I run in my reactor every 3 months for 2 weeks?

Please, PLEASE... Someone...

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took them as best as I could

1E7C729A-C02B-426F-97A5-6DA47B53B7A2.jpeg

6FA65F2D-FF0E-44BE-BA37-E50EFD6410E9.jpeg

20C68BAB-00D8-4073-A842-3659ACC25D83.jpeg

DF620BF9-4194-437D-940B-DD381D2FB646.jpeg

D8448C37-5E6D-4DFB-A899-2C602EB5A5E0.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses, Your arms itching after being in tank is very strange.. have you checked for stray voltage? Have you used any pesticides or other chemicals around or near your tank?

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry you are going through this. :(

What you are describing sounds more like Brooklynella to me than velvet. It's most common in clown fish but it does impact other species. Can you take a look at this and see if it looks like a match?
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

My skunk clown was the first one to die. Followed by the Royal, another Skunk, Kole Tang...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed that when I removed the fish my arms were itching like crazy from like 2 minutes. That never happened.

My water parameters seems to be spot on.
This also caught my eye. It sounds like you could possibly have a chemical irritant in your system that you cant measure. That could be causing the fish to produce more slime coat.

The RedSea Carbon that I run in my reactor every 3 months for 2 weeks?
Do you currently have this online? I would do as large a water change as possible ASAP along with getting it going if possible.

The question here is where this thing came from?
Fish diseases are tough, if that is what this is. They can be suppressed by the fishes immune system until a stressful event allows it to start showing itself.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S$:)-/!!! Dude that sucks! I saw your post, first thing this am. St first I chuckled because I’m always loosing fish, with some being found in my over flow or sump. Of course there’s always those mysteries we’ve all had. This is on a whole different level my friend. I’m going to give you some advice, the best I could think of to help you. Get ahold of the guy Bobby, known as Humblefish. He tends the fish disease forum. Send him a message ASAP. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of anecdotal advice here with your post, but don’t waste any time. Get to someone that will know for sure. That’s all and good luck. I don’t know much about fish disease other an the few bouts of ice I’ve had. My specialty is first foods like copepods and rotifers and breeding all types of marine ornamentals (not a pro yet. If you need more fish, I do breed fish and I have a bunch of striped blennies if it means u have to restock. Disease free guaranteed. Anyways, Bobby/Humblefish has been a guest on a few podcasts and that’s how I found him. Anyone else you don’t know and don’t know about the rest. I hope that’s the post that helps you out. Good luck and post or message me re:eek:utcome. I’m curious now!

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This also caught my eye. It sounds like you could possibly have a chemical irritant in your system that you cant measure. That could be causing the fish to produce more slime coat.

Do you currently have this online? I would do as large a water change as possible ASAP along with getting it going if possible.

Fish diseases are tough, if that is what this is. They can be suppressed by the fishes immune system until a stressful event allows it to start showing itself.

Should I remove the carbon? I have a few zoas but they are growing and opening without any issues. Nothing happened to them.

No chemicals whatsoever. I just dose Brightwell calcion, magnesion and alk. A little bit of Fuel for the corals and that's it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get ahold of the guy Bobby, known as Humblefish. He tends the fish disease forum. Send him a message ASAP. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of anecdotal advice here with your post, but don’t waste any time. Get to someone that will know for sure.
This would be good advice, but Humblefish has needed to greatly reduce his activity for awhile and may not be reachable any time soon.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I remove the carbon? I have a few zoas but they are growing and opening without any issues. Nothing happened to them.
I would definitely not remove the carbon. If it has been in for more than a week I would consider changing it out.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely not remove the carbon. If it has been in for more than a week I would consider changing it out.

Yes it's been more than a week. Started to run on NOV 2nd.

The tank has 139 Gallons. Should I do 50%?

Thanks

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S$:)-/!!! Dude that sucks! I saw your post, first thing this am. St first I chuckled because I’m always loosing fish, with some being found in my over flow or sump. Of course there’s always those mysteries we’ve all had. This is on a whole different level my friend. I’m going to give you some advice, the best I could think of to help you. Get ahold of the guy Bobby, known as Humblefish. He tends the fish disease forum. Send him a message ASAP. I’m sure you’ll get plenty of anecdotal advice here with your post, but don’t waste any time. Get to someone that will know for sure. That’s all and good luck. I don’t know much about fish disease other an the few bouts of ice I’ve had. My specialty is first foods like copepods and rotifers and breeding all types of marine ornamentals (not a pro yet. If you need more fish, I do breed fish and I have a bunch of striped blennies if it means u have to restock. Disease free guaranteed. Anyways, Bobby/Humblefish has been a guest on a few podcasts and that’s how I found him. Anyone else you don’t know and don’t know about the rest. I hope that’s the post that helps you out. Good luck and post or message me re:eek:utcome. I’m curious now!

thanks a lot for the kind words @pdisner

Back