Urgent - New Yellow Coris Wrasse doing corkscrews and laying on sand bed.

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 days ago I added a yellow coris wrasse and 2 red head gobies to my reef tank. It finally emerged from the sand today, but it looks like its in bad shape based on its behavior. Outwardly it looks fine - no signs of abuse of any kind, no swollen abdomen, and no indication of external parasites. Gills are neither burned or inflamed and fins are perfectly intact... However, it just lays on the sandbed. I noticed that every few minutes it was shifting position, but was always laying sideways. As I watched I noticed that it was swimming in an unnatural way - corkscrew in nature. I've captured a video of its movement now that I took it out of the tank - Something that I was able to do just by reaching in... no struggle at all.
Any ideas what's going on? I'm keeping a close on it and notice that its breathing will slow down and eventually stop. Usually when that happens, about 30 seconds later, the fish will try to swim again. I'm afraid that its not going to make it.

Here are all of my parameters that I can test for:
Ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 0ppm (all using basic api marine test kit).
Alk 9.9 dkH, Ca2+ 469 (using hanna checkers). These are high because of a spike 2 days ago when I incorrectly dosed the tank, bringing alk up to 10.7. I did a 25% water change right away. Oddly enough the alk didn't change at all (totally different story but I assure you that the tests were done and read correctly). It dropped to 10.6 yesterday and 9.9 today. No other fish have shown any sign of issues. Just wanted to provide all the info I could.

Any help or suggestions that you can give would be much appreciated. wrasse.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210907_204222519.mp4
    15.9 MB

FishRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could of possibly got a spinal injury from hitting something in the sand bed or the bottom of the tank. How deep is your sand bed?

FishRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should be deep enough but I guess he could of clipped a rock burying himself. But this is just my two cents I would wait for others to chip in

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be something neurological or a pathogen that causes this, no one truly knows, but this condition seems to affect newly acquired wrasses more often than established ones. She's probably not going to make it through the night, sorry :(

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably search on here wrasse spinal injury or or add neurological and find tons of threads of wrasses swimming weird with no cure. They come up fairly often. Maybe compare what others have seen to what you see and maybe it’s something else. Just hoping for you it’s not that and there’s something that can be done.

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have all been very helpful and gave quick feedback. I truly appreciate that. I'll see what I can find in the forums regarding these situations. Thanks!

OP
OP
Neuratox

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad update: unfortunately the wrasse passed away within 3 hours of the initial post. The LFS is replacing him free of charge given the conditions that he was in, but I won't try another wrasse if I experience the same problems.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back