Urgent: Super skinny clown goby, what food is best?

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I got some clown gobies yesterday and today at LFS. Yesterday i noticed a yellow one was super skinny, it is now MIA :( Green clown goby is in a similar state. I have these frozen foods, which one will be best? It is in an individual little container now so I can make sure he's eating. I'm afraid he won't make it till morning if I don't try to get something good in him but I don't want to pick something with minimal nutritional value.

IMG_0680.JPG IMG_0681.JPG

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also heard that adding some types of garlic as a supplement can help get finicky eaters to eat

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated!
I tried the LRS, no takers. Same with the blood worms. Maybe I'll get some garlic and see what I can do. I don't have any fish garlic but we have the people stuff. I'm going to give them a little time without a monster standing over them. I just transferred all my fish into buckets for the TTM and that's when I noticed how skinny this one was but I'd already netted him so it would be counter productive to leave him in a big tank where I can't keep an eye on him since I'd already put him through the stress of being caught. All of my fish are rather ricked off, none have eaten right away bit it looks like some are starting to come around so I hope they will too and start eating. I'd hate to be responsible for killing another fish. I've already caused the death of 2 at this point ;crying

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new fish don’t eat for long periods of time. I would wait and try to feed them in the morning. Can you send a pic of clown goby by chance???

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new fish don’t eat for long periods of time. I would wait and try to feed them in the morning. Can you send a pic of clown goby by chance???
Yeah, only this one looks like he won't make it long periods of time that some take. He's moved at least. I just hope that he eats something soon. The one pic is through a couple layers of plastic so it's not as easy to see how skinny he is but the image from the top says it all.
IMG_0682.JPG
IMG_0683.JPG

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish is emaciated. LRS is the best frozen I've tried, hands down, but at that point I would be using the shotgun method and adding a tiny little bit of everything just to find something it wants to eat. I'd also be HIGHLY suspect of intestinal parasites. Parazi and metro the water may help as it's not eating, but may further suppress its appetite.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish is emaciated. LRS is the best frozen I've tried, hands down, but at that point I would be using the shotgun method and adding a tiny little bit of everything just to find something it wants to eat. I'd also be HIGHLY suspect of intestinal parasites. Parazi and metro the water may help as it's not eating, but may further suppress its appetite.
I was planning to do the prazi with Humblefish's TTM method. I'll dump more food in there, try the other frozen stuff. He seems to be swimming now. I'll just add more and I have a fresh tub of water for tomorrow to avoid ammonia if needed. I also have VitaChem, and phytoplankton?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to do the prazi with Humblefish's TTM method. I'll dump more food in there, try the other frozen stuff. He seems to be swimming now. I'll just add more and I have a fresh tub of water for tomorrow to avoid ammonia if needed. I also have VitaChem, and phytoplankton?

I wouldn't over load him with food, just a little here and there but didn't types. Does he have any PVC elbows or anything to hide in? Clown gobies are pretty cryptic and don't like to be exposed.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't over load him with food, just a little here and there but didn't types. Does he have any PVC elbows or anything to hide in? Clown gobies are pretty cryptic and don't like to be exposed.

There's two PVC things in there. I think he's eating now! I can see eating like movement. I took the 50/50, added some tank water to defrost it, some drops of the vitamin, and basted it in front of him. he didn't take to it right away but I'm pretty sure he's eating now at least a little!
There's actually another green clown goby in there with him, not super super skinny like the one in concern is but not exactly plump either. I wanted them in different containers but got a bit mixed up on which one was occupied already and I don't want to net either one of them right now to separate them. Maybe I'll add more PVC once they settle out a little.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t know he was that skinny. Agree with @Robin Haselden he needs to eat or I don’t know how much longer he will last
The last clown goby was skinny like that too and he was MIA when I went looking today. Tank they were in has several shrimp in it. I'm not going to turn out the lights just yet and plan to keep adding food a little at a time to spike some new interest as long as I can.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! Once you make sure they are eating I'd give them a few days, then treat with parazi and metro for intestinal parasites. I like general cure because it has both already in the dose. One pack for 10g.
He's moving around a lot more than he was before. I'll keep him on a separate schedule than the rest of the tank transfers to make sure that he's able to eat more before I go trying to treat. I'll keep a good eye on if he seems to be eating and gaining weight at all in case of a parasite. I'll be researching what Humble has to say about that in the morning.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had clown gobies a few times, and each of them needed live newly hatched brine shrimp to start eating and I was eventually able to wean them over to small frozen foods.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had clown gobies a few times, and each of them needed live newly hatched brine shrimp to start eating and I was eventually able to wean them over to small frozen foods.

I started hatching some last night so hopefully that’ll hatch soon and help.

GN1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar issues recently and mines still in QT. I found they like LRS Fish Eggs the most out of the 100.00 dollars of food i bought. If you cant find it, try Reef Nutrition R.O.E eggs.

Mines been in QT for about 3 weeks now. Its been eating the eggs about 3x daily but some mornings i would find bumps/pimples on him. More water changes helped out. Now i think it has ICH so im trying to treat that. Will try tank transfer method on it.

best of luck!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back