URGENT SWIM BLADDER ISSUE?

IndianaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little firefish Julius has suddenly started swimming as shown in the video and i am extremely concerned if this is either a swim bladder issue or maybe some form of constipation. He didn't eat for a few days and then started eating again recently so I may have fed a little more than needed the last few days, and so i am not ruling constipation fully out of the equation. If it is this, how do i treat it, if not what do you guys think/recommend. Thanks heaps

Attachments

• video-1600763378.mp4
    1.2 MB

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,sorry to hear,no video , #reefsquad ,best wishes ;)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
see if you can put the emergency tag back on here :)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
not sure ,i just asked to close the other one, no need to have people looking at both,this one has the experts called

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no worries mate,they will come ;)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish does look positively buoyant. Can't really tell if it is over-inflated swim bladder of gas trapped in the GI tract. The trouble is, it is going to wear itself out trying to keep position in the tank.

How long have you had the fish? If it is still feeding, try some frozen brine shrimp (a good laxative).

You may hear about using epsom salts (Magnesium sulfate). Don't bother - that is an old freshwater remedy, epsom salts is the 4th highest amount of salt in seawater, so adding a bit more does nothing. If you can get epsom salts into the food, then that is a different matter (not sure how to do that with a fish like this though).

Jay

OP
OP
I

IndianaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish does look positively buoyant. Can't really tell if it is over-inflated swim bladder of gas trapped in the GI tract. The trouble is, it is going to wear itself out trying to keep position in the tank.

How long have you had the fish? If it is still feeding, try some frozen brine shrimp (a good laxative).

You may hear about using epsom salts (Magnesium sulfate). Don't bother - that is an old freshwater remedy, epsom salts is the 4th highest amount of salt in seawater, so adding a bit more does nothing. If you can get epsom salts into the food, then that is a different matter (not sure how to do that with a fish like this though).

Jay
only had the fish a couple weeks. I have been feeding mysis with garlic. What do you reccommend i do?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H

e has recovered overnight so i think he just had gas. thanks guys
Fish do get gas actually, they can also float due to being fed too much flake food or sometimes pellets. Try feeding smaller quantities, but more often.
Jay

Back