Urgent

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello y’all I have a Royal gramma in my
Tank which I thought was doing well. It has been 3-4 days of being added to my
TAnk: the first day it was shy the second and third day It nibbled at food and today it is still “sleeping” upside down in a corner by a rock. The eyes do look cloudy and I am worried about this fish! I will post pictures after work but all other fish are well and active.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello y’all I have a Royal gramma in my
Tank which I thought was doing well. It has been 3-4 days of being added to my
TAnk: the first day it was shy the second and third day It nibbled at food and today it is still “sleeping” upside down in a corner by a rock. The eyes do look cloudy and I am worried about this fish! I will post pictures after work but all other fish are well and active.

That doesn't sound good. It may have come in with a disease. More background information is important (as well as pictures/video). Here is a link that describes all that:

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds bacterial but as Jay stated pics under white lighting and info such as breathing rate, age of tank, other occupants and how they look will help

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds bacterial but as Jay stated pics under white lighting and info such as breathing rate, age of tank, other occupants and how they look will help
I BELEIVE she passed away a couple hours ago :(. Al other fish are eating and look healthy. This Is the only fish with cloudy eyes and looked the healthiest out of the Royal grammas at the store unfortunately not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 23

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I BELEIVE she passed away a couple hours ago :(. Al other fish are eating and look healthy. This Is the only fish with cloudy eyes and looked the healthiest out of the Royal grammas at the store unfortunately not.
Sorry to hear it. When a fish is upside down - thats always a bad sign. I would carefully watch your other fish for any symptoms.

Did you QT them - or the Gramma?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry to hear. According to pic, fish was Moribund and was likely not going to make it.
Assure your ammonia and nitrate are not elevated and what is your maintenance schedule ( frequency of testing and water changes) ?

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear. According to pic, fish was Moribund and was likely not going to make it.
Assure your ammonia and nitrate are not elevated and what is your maintenance schedule ( frequency of testing and water changes) ?
I am taking the water to the LFS to check ammonia and nitrite. I just did a water change yesterday which I do a water change every week. Every week I change 5 gal from my 30 g tank. Every Saturday to be precise and the fish have been in the tank for 6 days today was the 7th.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear it. When a fish is upside down - thats always a bad sign. I would carefully watch your other fish for any symptoms.

Did you QT them - or the Gramma?
I got them from a local
Fish store that is very highly rated and have been monitoring the fish I bought for a week or so. Really
Clean and good tanks so I just drop acclimated them. YWMG is doing great we’ll I hope so. And the Royal gramma went downhill since mid day yesterday

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If ammonia and nitrite are 0 does that mean my tank is okay. ?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If ammonia and nitrite are 0 does that mean my tank is okay. ?
yes as long as readings are accurate. What test kits are you using ?
False readings can give you the sense all is ok , when theyre not. To confirm readings, you can take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does Not use Api kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back