Uronema becoming big problem these days? (Aside from chromis)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, but we do know that having fish get sick and die after or more likely during quarantine is very repeatable. Just look at the disease forum. I can do it and I am not that smart.

I am guessing you don’t spend much time on the fish disease forum, because 90% of the problems are found in fish that we’re just dropped in the display or are in observation tanks untreated.

@HotRocks and I have several tanks of disease-free fish and since I’ve quarantined my fish have thrived.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay okay! Phew!
Back to uronema...for those who do quarantine....how do you go about quarrantining snails and crabs. I thought after a month in a fishless tank all would be good. But its my understanding that uronema does not need a fish host to survive, so couldnt you still be moving the uronema to the dt with the snail/crabs?
Great question. You COULD, yes. However, in practice I imagine that it happens very rarely. It hasn’t happened to us so far, but yes it is possible. @Humblefish may be able to provide more insight.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay okay! Phew!
Back to uronema...for those who do quarantine....how do you go about quarrantining snails and crabs. I thought after a month in a fishless tank all would be good. But its my understanding that uronema does not need a fish host to survive, so couldnt you still be moving the uronema to the dt with the snail/crabs?

Yes, it is possible for uronema (and brook) to be loosely attached to any coral, invert, rock, piece of equipment, etc. This is one reason I only use dry rock, and sterilize any QT equipment with bleach + at least a week of drying time before it's ever used elsewhere. The good news is neither brook or uronema have an encysted stage, so a good rinsing (with DT water) should dislodge any of those parasites if present. However, this doesn't apply to ich + velvet tomonts (which stick to corals/inverts) or even worm (e.g. flukes) eggs.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Humble my Buddy. I have another analogy. Suppose those 9 people can't stay away from that one sick person, maybe because they live in an apartment that looks like a fish tank. They get spots, malaria, syphilis and Mononucleosis. They spend most of their time in a Dr.s office and the rest of their time in a pharmacy waiting for expensive medications which may or may not work but they are all constipating. Some of them die. Their deaths are written up in a newspaper just as they have been since printing presses were invented by Al Gore. Everyone blames the economy, global warming, honeybees or flu shots.
Then there are another 10 people who are exposed to all sorts of things because they ride on the New York Subway system for 47 years where bums and Scurvy people spit on them and slobber all over them every day and never in all that time do they get sick. Not once. They all die of old age 80 or 90 years later and leave all their money to homeless chickens.
Which immune system of those 10 people do you want to emulate? :rolleyes:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am guessing you don’t spend much time on the fish disease forum, because 90% of the problems are found in fish that we’re just dropped in the display or are in observation tanks untreated.

I would not advocate that as that would be silly and the fish would most likely die. You have to drop the fish into a natural tank that has not been quarantined. That is where people make the mistake. There is much more to it than just throwing a fish into any tank. You know that. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is you cannot emulate the ocean in a glass cage is one 264,000,000th the size. So it requires different thinking.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure that 264,000,000 is accurate. :rolleyes:

The thinking is that if one tank can last for many years with no disease, all tanks can. :D

@HotRocks and I have several tanks of disease-free fish and since I’ve quarantined my fish have thrived.

Did they thrive long enough to die of old age?

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jim, I know this will provide little solace, but even if the Chromis all initially survived, they have a really nasty habit of picking each other off one at a time until there is only one left. Kind of a "Highlander" "There can be only One" thing. So be of good cheer. Every day in this hobby you will learn something new. ;)
Ive got five in my tank for the last four years. They pick on each other but to many to pick on at once. You can keep multiples. I suggest 5 or more .

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, predose the water before moving the fish. Keep metro going the entire time you are performing TTM. This strategy should eliminate all parasites EXCEPT Marine Velvet Disease. You’d have to have copper or CP in the water at all times to address that pathogen.
OK please fill me in so I can understand
Cp=
TTM=

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The thinking is that if one tank can last for many years with no disease, all tanks can. :D

How about this: Start a thread outlining every thing you do to keep your fish healthy/immune. Just like we outline our QT protocols, step by step.

I know you've already posted most of this information, but it's scattered. Would be nice to have everything you do in one thread (or article), so those who wish to emulate your success can see if its repeatable.

I honestly don't care how people go about keeping their fish healthy. I just want to stop reading about fish dying all of the time. :(

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do wish there was a good place to get pharm grade CP. I'm sure some of the boys know a place.

CP is available for human prescription, and if you have a doctor (MD, DO) in your family, they might be willing to issue a prescription for you. It's completely legal to do so, although it might make some docs uncomfortable, given that 1. the medication isn't really for you and 2. they don't have an established doctor-patient relationship with you.

LovesDogs_CatsRokay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OK. Just for fun. According to an internet search there are 343,423,668,428,484,681,262 gallons of water in the earths oceans. That is 343 quintillion for those wondering at home. So a 343,423,668,428,484,681,262 divided by a 100 gallon tank = 3 quintillion the size.

If I have my math right. Let me check with my son. He is smarter than I am. ;Bookworm

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this: Start a thread outlining every thing you do to keep your fish healthy/immune. Just like we outline our QT protocols, step by step.

I know you've already posted most of this information, but it's scattered. Would be nice to have everything you do in one thread (or article), so those who wish to emulate your success can see if its repeatable.

I honestly don't care how people go about keeping their fish healthy. I just want to stop reading about fish dying all of the time. :(

Honestly this topic and the more information we spread will discourage ppl from the hobby and the ban will help too and hopefully pull us closer to tank bred fish.

I’m all for it. I wish I could figure out Paul B theory in a more scalable fashion. I can’t blackworms here and I know nothing about what fresh foods to get. I don’t believe he freezes the food either right [emoji848]

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Just for fun. According to an internet search there are 343,423,668,428,484,681,262 gallons of water in the earths oceans. That is 343 quintillion for those wondering at home. So a 343,423,668,428,484,681,262 divided by a 100 gallon tank = 3 quintillion the size.

If I have my math right. Let me check with my son. He is smarter than I am. ;Bookworm

Ocean versus aquarium - Definitely best expressed in scientific notation. :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We totally agree on that. :D

So a 343,423,668,428,484,681,262 divided by a 100 gallon tank = 3 quintillion the size.

Maybe, but does that take intro consideration the 40 gallons I collected last month?

:(

I can and will do this (as soon as this new knee pain subsides just a little more or you will hear me scream in between every word)
But we both know there will be arguments. I can prove my method works and has worked for decades but I can't prove everyone can do it unless someone does and the only people I know who have old, immune tanks are about 3 people, but they are on here. They all use a variation of my method.

I can’t blackworms here and I know nothing about what fresh foods to get. I don’t believe he freezes the food either right
emoji848.png

I can't get blackworms in my new home either so they fish have not had any in 5 months. :cool:

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can prove my method works and has worked for decades but I can't prove everyone can do it unless someone does and the only people I know who have old, immune tanks are about 3 people, but they are on here.

Only because I am not familiar with it. But does this method in any way reflect Phil Robertson's guidance for good health - Childhood exposure to as many pathogens as possible so as to build up resistance in adulthood?

Just asking.

upload_2018-12-30_18-13-48.jpeg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly this topic and the more information we spread will discourage ppl from the hobby and the ban will help too and hopefully pull us closer to tank bred fish.

I’m all for it. I wish I could figure out Paul B theory in a more scalable fashion. I can’t blackworms here and I know nothing about what fresh foods to get. I don’t believe he freezes the food either right [emoji848]

Two problems:
  1. They are not close to captive breeding many marine fish species.
  2. The vast majority of freshwater fish are captive bred, and yet diseases remain a big issue.

JDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This starts a new subject...will we be able to mix captive with captured for the natural tank? It’s the new kid on the block that has been in a bubble it hole life.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have been doing it 4 years, so far so good!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back