Uronema clean up

cadroved67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I upgraded my tank and put a new fish in to cycle. The fish ended up having uronema. I threw away sand and bleached the tank, equipment and rocks. My question is sitting the rocks in a bucket of bleach water enough? I did not use a powerhead as there wasn’t enough room in the bucket. I let them soak for 24 hours then in fresh with prime for almost 48 hours. Now I’m gonna let them dry for about a week. Do you think that’s enough to get rid of the disease. It is all new rock so no dead stuff in it.

lkc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I upgraded my tank and put a new fish in to cycle. The fish ended up having uronema. I threw away sand and bleached the tank, equipment and rocks. My question is sitting the rocks in a bucket of bleach water enough? I did not use a powerhead as there wasn’t enough room in the bucket. I let them soak for 24 hours then in fresh with prime for almost 48 hours. Now I’m gonna let them dry for about a week. Do you think that’s enough to get rid of the disease. It is all new rock so no dead stuff in it.
The thing about Uronema is that it is ubiquitous, you can isolate it from almost every established aquarium. It only becomes infective under certain circumstances, especially with newly acquired chromis, wrasse and anthias. There are whole groups of fish that never have a problem with it (clownfish, angelfish and some others).
If you are positive of your diagnosis, there really isn't any need to sterilize things, it is just going to return at some point. I avoid it by not buying cheap anthias or green chromis or yellow coris wrasse. I can avoid about 80% of the issues right there....

Here is an article I posted about it:

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back