Uronema in my DT?

scubaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like uronema? I am curious because I lost this fish last Friday. I have had him and six more chromis in my tank since January with no issues. This guy was the largest and the leader of the shoal, so I don't suspect he was picked on.

I had added a Royal Gramma, three Cardinals and a Court Jester Goby the beginning of June. I bought all of them already quarantined. I lost two of the cardinals within the first 24 hours. Assumed stress from shipping. The gramma stayed hidden, I understand that's common, but he would come out to eat. About 2 weeks later he was down on the bottom acting weird. I didn't see any markings or red spots on him. the next day he had gotten up into a hole in my dry rock. I tried to pull him out by the tail and he went deeper. I could see his purple face in another hole from the other side of the rock. Next morning I could only see flesh, no purple. I got him our but didn't see any marks or red spots on him. Didn't know what he died from and treated the entire DT with Prazi. About a week later, this chromis was showing the marks or scales missing on the right side of his face and a small blemish. I started feeding the entire tank presoaked food using Metro. After the eight day, the chromis looked much better and swimming around like normal. This was mid July.

As I said earlier, this past Friday he was dead.

I currently have in my 105 gallon tank;

6 Green Chromis
2 Orange Fancy Ocellaris Clowns
2 Black Ocellaris Clowns
2 Banggai Cardinals
1 Court Jester Goby
1 Red Fire Shrimp
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
3 Peppermint Shrimp
2 Fighting Conches
2 Nassarius Snails
6 Mexican Turbos

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain the timeline.

Thanks

Green Chromis 1.jpg Green Chromis 2.jpg Green Chromis 3.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like Uronema to me - in most cases I've seen when green chromis die from Uronema, they are "Mr. Bill" fish (think back to the Claymation figure on early SNL)....their mouths are wide open.

This fish has something going on at its anus - the sunken skin and discoloration isn't normal. Looks like some sort of infection, but not like typical Uronema.

That's all a good thing though, as it is less likely that this fish has something highly contagious.

Of course, this is just speculation - you'll want to monitor the reaming fish very closely over the next few weeks.

Jay

OP
OP
scubaboy

scubaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like Uronema to me - in most cases I've seen when green chromis die from Uronema, they are "Mr. Bill" fish (think back to the Claymation figure on early SNL)....their mouths are wide open.

This fish has something going on at its anus - the sunken skin and discoloration isn't normal. Looks like some sort of infection, but not like typical Uronema.

That's all a good thing though, as it is less likely that this fish has something highly contagious.

Of course, this is just speculation - you'll want to monitor the reaming fish very closely over the next few weeks.

Jay
Yes sir, I will.

Thank you for your response. That make me feel much better.

I have had him 7 months and you had stated you have not seen fish die from uronema that have been kept that long. He also didn’t pass within just a few days like the typical fish does.
I wondered if he got scraped up in the rock trying to get to the gramma (missing scales)? Like I had mentioned, something was eating on it, at first I assumed the shrimp, but maybe it a him and he ingested something that killed the gramma? Chromis are omnivores, right?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back