Uronema marinum - With all the tech avail now, is there no definitive water test for this?

Neseem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I remembered to take pics but I purchased pre quarantined fish from a well known online vendor (don't want to name them). It was a Six-Line and 3 Green Chromis. I have a QT (40 Gallon and these were the first and only fish introduced in there) for my frags and made a dumb mistake by putting the fish in there to observe before placing them in my DT. Seemingly overnight, the six line had developed a bump on its side that only got worse the following day before the fish ultimately passed on (day 3). I don't know if it hurt itself on a rock because it looked fine the first day. The wound was white at first then I thought I saw some red but could have been the scales?

I also lost 2 out of the 3 chromis but I think that was due to bullying. I have the last remaining Chromis who's doing really well. Super active and eats like crazy. It's been totally fine for over 2 months in the same tank.

I'm trying to rule if the initial issue was Uronema. Given there's no test (is there a water test for this???), these fish are most prone to it and the last Chromis has no signs of it. Would it be safe to assume it wasn't Uronema since it hasn't affected the last Chromis? Also, is there a process to mitigate Uronema on my coral frags before moving them to the DT.

Thank you in advance and Happy Reefing!

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with the wrasse doesn’t really sound like Uronema, but could be. Uronema can be isolated from many established aquariums, it only causes disease in newly acquired fish of a few groups; chromis, anthias and wrasses. Green chromis and yellow wrasse are the worst. I’ve seen it in some other species, like butterflyfish, but it is rarer in them.
Uronema normally feeds on bacteria. I have an article posted here, 16th down on the list (I’m on my phone and can’t link you to it).
Jay

OP
OP
Neseem

Neseem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with the wrasse doesn’t really sound like Uronema, but could be. Uronema can be isolated from many established aquariums, it only causes disease in newly acquired fish of a few groups; chromis, anthias and wrasses. Green chromis and yellow wrasse are the worst. I’ve seen it in some other species, like butterflyfish, but it is rarer in them.
Uronema normally feeds on bacteria. I have an article posted here, 16th down on the list (I’m on my phone and can’t link you to it).
Jay
Thank you Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%

Back