Uronema on green chromis? Help with ID

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have one green chromis in a school of 5 that has a brown spot on his side that doesn't seem to be resolving itself. I also noticed some brown spots on the head, maybe missing scales?

Help a noob with ID please! Is this uronema? Should I try to catch the fish, QT, and treat with metroplex?

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 9.27.40 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 9.28.06 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 9.28.01 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 9.27.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 9.27.49 AM.png

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spots on the sides of Chromis always give us pause. First thought is the dreaded uronema parasite which unfortunately is very common. Here's a link with pics and treatment advice:

OP
OP
G

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So...trap and euthanize? Trap and QT, observe till I can get a positive ID?

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im pretty sure thats uronema if you have access to seachem metro you can use that to treat it but usually when it gets to that stage where its showing its too late

OP
OP
G

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The "Eradicate or Ignore" sticky seems to imply that a healthy tank should be able to resist it, and I won't need to tear down and sterilize everything...I guess unless this becomes an ongoing issue.

I'll at least be adding UV.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "Eradicate or Ignore" sticky seems to imply that a healthy tank should be able to resist it, and I won't need to tear down and sterilize everything...I guess unless this becomes an ongoing issue.

I'll at least be adding UV.

Big decision for you for sure. The parasite cannot be starved out of the DT by going fallow. So later on when you add new fish they will be exposed to the parasites still existing in the tank if it is not sterilized. Best of luck. Keep us in the loop.

OP
OP
G

Greenjeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The decision is honestly easy at this point - I cannot realistically catch and remove all fish and inverts (without euthanizing them all and separating epoxied rock work), it seems likely that my display will be okay even with the parasite present, and it seems unlikely that I wouldn't reintroduce the parasite at some point in the future. Most fish are resistant, and no other chromis are showing signs (8 chromis have been together in a 10gal QT for at least 2 weeks)

UV will arrive tomorrow to help keep the parasite load in the water column as low as possible, and I'll update this thread with any developments.

At this point it seems clear I need to remove and euthanize this one fish.

I guess my plan is to manage my tank in 'parasite mitigation' mode and assume uronema is present. UV, healthy fish, minimizing stress and aggression, etc.

If I continue to struggle with uronema I guess I'll consider sterilization down the road.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back