Uronema or secondary infection?

OceanSprayCranberry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had these anthias in qt for the last two weeks and noticed one of them hiding yesterday. Then today I saw this red sore near it’s tail. I’ve only ever seen uronema manifest towards the middle of the fish so I’m not sure if this is it or some other bacterial infection. I’ve been slowly raising copper and just started metroplex

0411A0C3-131D-4A61-B430-CAF8D7EF4AB8.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would ask a couple more questions - see my signature for the Link to do so - BUT - yes it looks like uronema - I agree with Sharkbait

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Had these anthias in qt for the last two weeks and noticed one of them hiding yesterday. Then today I saw this red sore near it’s tail. I’ve only ever seen uronema manifest towards the middle of the fish so I’m not sure if this is it or some other bacterial infection. I’ve been slowly raising copper and just started metroplex

0411A0C3-131D-4A61-B430-CAF8D7EF4AB8.jpeg
BUT _ it could be a bacterial infection as well. I would treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic. And - second - when you say QT for 2 weeks - was it QT without medication or with?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
O

OceanSprayCranberry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try treating. IMO, it’s more worthwhile to try everything while the fish is alive so you don’t find yourself asking what else could have been done.
I’ve been treating the whole qt with metroplex and putting it in their food as well. Should I get kanaplex or furan too?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been treating the whole qt with metroplex and putting it in their food as well. Should I get kanaplex or furan too?
The treatment for uronema is neither of those things. In case its an infection - kanaplex - with uronema - I think I posted the link for you earlier but :

"
Fish affected:​
Symptoms:​
Typical symptoms are ulcer-like wounds or bloody sites which later develop into large wounds, high mucus formation in the scales, fish scraping themselves on the bottom of the aquarium, and their fins clamp. They swim around at the surface gasping for air. Secondary bacterial infection may also develop.
Treatments:​
Saving non-infected fish should be the primary treatment. Formaldehyde-Malachite green or Malachite green (Stock solution: 5.0 g/l of distilled water; beginning dose: 1 ml or 20-25 drops/100 l ) alone can be an effective treatment. Quinacrine (100-250 mg/100 l over 10 days) also can have a good effect. Highly concentrated methylene blue in short baths can be helpful. Freshwater baths can also be used. Combining different methods of treatment can sometimes yield to excellent results. Sometimes an antibacterial agent needs to be used, these are added to the aquarium or into thew methylene blue bath. Another antibacterial drug that is recommended is furaltadone or nifurpirinol (10-15 mg/100 l for an unlimited time or as instructed). To ensure a successful treatment: injections of Metronidazole RTU q72 IM at 5mg/kg is effective, as is 50 mg, tubed into the stomach daily (A.D.M. Dove, pers. comm., 2002).
Prophylaxis:​
Remarks:​
Frequently found in weakened fish, freshly imported fish, and fish that are transported in poor conditions. It's counterpart in freshwater fishes is Tetrahymena pyriformis. The fish can have respiration problems because this parasite are also found in the gills."

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can combine copper and metro/antibiotics as long as the surface is heavily agitated. Also note that you need to dose 2 spoons of Metroplex per 10 gallons, the label instructs 1 measurement per 10 gallons. I would add Kanaplex and Nitrofuracin as an added precaution.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this resolve?

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back