Uronema Treatment

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reading the treatments threads on Uronema. It sounds like a prophylactic treatment of General Cure/Focus followed by Cupramine might be an acceptable way to prevent in QT.

My question is more related to DT. If uronema is somehow transmitted to a DT FOWLR, can copper eliminate the disease or is a total tank breakdown still required. In other words can copper alone eliminate Uronema?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper will NOT erradicate uronema. It may supress, but not erradicate.

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper will NOT erradicate uronema. It may supress, but not erradicate.
Wow. I was not expecting this reply. I guess I am left with...why would I ever introduce chromis in my DT if there is no way to eradicate uronema.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I was not expecting this reply. I guess I am left with...why would I ever introduce chromis in my DT if there is no way to eradicate uronema.
If you treat them with Metroplex in QT for 10days, you don't have to worry about it!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It does not appear, to me at least, that all fish are susceptible. I had a group of anthias come in with it (all died) but wrasses in the same QT unaffected. Ironically, I no longer keep chromis for precisely this reason (and I put all anthias through an extended QT). If it is not too progressed, proper CP will cure it. Also, you cannot fallow out uronema from a display.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not appear, to me at least, that all fish are susceptible. I had a group of anthias come in with it (all died) but wrasses in the same QT unaffected. Ironically, I no longer keep chromis for precisely this reason (and I put all anthias through an extended QT). If it is not too progressed, proper CP will cure it. Also, you cannot fallow out uronema from a display.
This is common^^^ most of the time chromis are the only fish affected by uronema.

OP
OP
Fastpitch

Fastpitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you treat them with Metroplex in QT for 10days, you don't have to worry about it!
Yeah but what if you treat with metro, make a mistake of some kind, dump your chromis in DT and infect DT FOREVER with uronema.

All for a $5 fish? Ugh.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow is right!!! I was following along... I don't mean to hijack the thread....but could Wrasses be a carrier of uronema....like a typhoid Mary situation? I have mostly Wrasses in my DT.....I know from my experience they are fairly disease resistant, but I also know they can he carriers, but have no symptoms themselves.....

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, I don’t think so. The example I cited it was the anthias that clearly brought it in. The wrasses never showed any symptoms, and after treating the QT with CP (which can be problematic with wrasses) they went into my DT with the resident anthias population unaffected. I would, however, not have put them in without doing the CP treatment. I was not able to save the infected anthias, but all wrasses are with me still.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case, I don’t think so. The example I cited it was the anthias that clearly brought it in. The wrasses never showed any symptoms, and after treating the QT with CP (which can be problematic with wrasses) they went into my DT with the resident anthias population unaffected. I would, however, not have put them in without doing the CP treatment. I was not able to save the infected anthias, but all wrasses are with me still.
Interesting! Sorry about your Anthias, but glad about your Wrasses! Uronema is so scary......no fallow period can eradicate it. Crazy!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed! Folks worry about ich, and it is the most common; but nothing compared to a bad velvet, uronema, or marine tuberculosis infection. That’s why I QT ......

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a question, I have read not to use cp with anthias, so what would be the safest bet with them against uronema as prophylactic treatment? Formalin dips followed with metroplex treatment for 10 days?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a question, I have read not to use cp with anthias, so what would be the safest bet with them against uronema as prophylactic treatment? Formalin dips followed with metroplex treatment for 10 days?
Copper for 14 days and then metro for 10 days following copper. I would also deworm them.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I routinely used CP with anthias (Bartlett, bimac, resplendent, Randall’s); other than the batch that had uronema I’ve seen no adverse reaction. I even used it on a group of tuka. They made it through QT , but then couldn’t complete in the display.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed! Folks worry about ich, and it is the most common; but nothing compared to a bad velvet, uronema, or marine tuberculosis infection. That’s why I QT ......
Right! That would be horrible to allow something that could have been prevented to wipe out your fish! I would be devastated! I have spent several years to get the collection of Wrasses I have....I couldn't imagine loosing any of them! I am so paranoid of loosing even one of them that I keep putting off upgrading my tank to a larger one! LOL! [emoji16]

Justin Aretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you knowledgeable folks...I had a Chromis in my Qt for awhile keeping it cycled. Appeared to have Uronema and died in the tank. What is the best way to move forwards? I plan on loading up qt with new batch of fish for new build, and planned on using chelated copper. I currently still have the tank cycled as I continue feeding the fallow tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back