Use Minn Finn for Popeye?

feeeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed last night at feeding that my lyretail had developed a case of popeye in both eyes. Prior to that he was doing great. I went to my LFS to receive guidance how to treat it. I was directed to use Minn Finn which surprised me since popeye is not listed as something it treats on the box. Any body know if it works on popeye?

As an aside my water parameters are solid.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Never heard of it but ethromyacin ( mardel maracyn 1 is best treatment)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed last night at feeding that my lyretail had developed a case of popeye in both eyes. Prior to that he was doing great. I went to my LFS to receive guidance how to treat it. I was directed to use Minn Finn which surprised me since popeye is not listed as something it treats on the box. Any body know if it works on popeye?

As an aside my water parameters are solid.
I had to look that up. Minnfinn is hydrogen peroxide and a peroxide salt. It is sold to treat external diseases of koi and goldfish. They apparently dose it rather high, then neutralize it after an hour. This can harm your biofilter. I don’t see it working for internal issues.
Many cases of Popeye is caused by mechanical damage. Some of those cases improve n their own. In other cases, a gram positive bacteria is involved. Maracyn 1 (erythromycin) sometimes helps with that.
Jay

OP
OP
F

feeeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to look that up. Minnfinn is hydrogen peroxide and a peroxide salt. It is sold to treat external diseases of koi and goldfish. They apparently dose it rather high, then neutralize it after an hour. This can harm your biofilter. I don’t see it working for internal issues.
Many cases of Popeye is caused by mechanical damage. Some of those cases improve n their own. In other cases, a gram positive bacteria is involved. Maracyn 1 (erythromycin) sometimes helps with that.
Never heard of it but ethromyacin ( mardel maracyn 1 is best treatment

OP
OP
F

feeeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your help.
As usual, the forum is more Helpful than my LFS. I am not sure why they pushed this med when there is better stuff. I am not sure what would have caused this, though The suggestions i have seen may be gaseous bubbles or something in my mechanical. Working on QTing the fish

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back