Use of H2O2 to manage parasites such as velvet and ich

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, a month back I had an outbreak I believe to be from Velvet and killed 3 fish before I had a chance to save them. I have one fish in a QT tank who was treated with cupramine.im not one month in to the 72 day fallow period but I'm considering trying to use peroxide to manage the parasites in my DT instead of finishing the fallow period. This is partly because I wasn't thinking when I bought a couple new inverts after fallow period had started and put them in the DT. I've done a good bit of reading about it and it seems the trouble is keeping the H2O2 from breaking down so quickly in the tank. This is why I'm trying to brainstorm an idea for a slow release method like a dosing pump (don't want to buy a dosing pump) that I can put together myself to dose every 15 minutes or so...does anyone have any ideas?

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am fighting ich as well and display is fallow now. I dosed peroxide for 3 weeks and was obviously loosing the battle so tried switching to peroxide salt poly medic. Two weeks later I lost two fish to ich. Both were very healthy fish I have had for a year. I feed very well and have great water parimeters, daily auto water changes And run 95 watts of uv in my Cade 1800. In the end it didn’t matter how good the feeding or equipment was, ich was winning the battle. I am learning to quarantine on the fly. lost 2 clowns right off the bat to I think ammonia in quarantine not trusting my tests with copper. With Jays guidance a have 2 Tangs (yellow and powder brown) doing quite well in quarantine at the 7 day mark. I don’t believe I will take those risks anymore trying to get unproven stuff to work. I have no problem waiting for the fallow period if it means I can irradicate it for good

Vyper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are oxidusers designed for peroxide that some are running in sumps. I think like UV it helps but once an outbreak gets out of control it’s game over and quarantin/fallow time.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are oxidusers designed for peroxide that some are running in sumps. I think like UV it helps but once an outbreak gets out of control it’s game over and quarantin/fallow time.
That matches with what I've been reading

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back