Use of Lasers in Controlling Pest Algae and Corals

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought a nice laser bit it feels as if it dont have the power to really kill what its burning. all the Aiptasia that is burned with it will grow back after just a few days. dose any one have an idea of a better laser then the one i have.

heres the one i have
Cyber 445nm - 1.2W Focusable Blue Laser Pointer Water Proof

Take a look in this thread for what others have used. Do you turn off your pumps while using your laser? Moving water will greatly diminish the effectiveness of the laser.

whats the best way to water proof my laser or make it so i dont burn any thing else in my tank if i have to use it from outside the tank

I don't know of a good way of waterproofing a laser. Not sure what you are asking by the second part of your question- don't point it at anything you don't want to burn?

CJ

jelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just want to know how people are protecting there corals and fish from stray beams coming from the laser. i guess ill have to try and turn the pumps off and see if it helps but we are really once a few inches away from what we want to burn.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look back a few pages, you'll see both my and CalmSeasQuest's solutions.

CJ

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the latest addition which ships on Monday. The photo shows it's power output being measured using an LPM (Laser Power Meter.) More than 2.2W of 445nm should make quick work of most any pest.

LPMShot.jpg

This one has extensive copper heat-syncing that should also provide for a healthy duty cycle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received word from the the designer/builder that it might be possible to include a diode capable of 2400mw in this host. That would make it the highest output single diode handheld I have ever seen. It should dramatically improve the performance for our purposes.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL - While I certainly understand your enthusiasm, please make sure you've read through all of this thread - especially the safety concerns (EVERYONE in range of the laser MUST have appropriate eye protection.)

I've purchased kits (survivallaser.com) completed lasers (Lazerer.com) and am currently having a custom unit built with costs ranging from $160~$500+.

The good news is power outputs are increasing and costs are dropping so they will become more affordable over time. The 445nm diodes being used are basically the same laser diodes used in 12X Blue Ray players.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received the new build today, it LPM'd in at just under 2.4W :D

I haven't had a chance to put this one to work yet, but upon first impression - the workmanship is first class...

2012-05-03103428.jpg

2012-05-03103501.jpg

2012-05-03103821.jpg

The duty cycle for this build is 2 min on / 1 min off which is amazing for a handheld generating this much power. I'll provide more information once I've had a chance to give it a proper test.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent about 30 minutes with the new 2.4W 445nm and it is clearly far superior to anything else I've tried.

• The additional power output reduced Xenia to "bubbling blob" status much faster than my next most powerful unit.
  • Despite the much higher power, the heat sinking is so massive the duty cycles are longer. Initial use - 3 minutes. Thereafter 2 minutes on / 1 minute off.
  • The optics on this laser allow me to better focus the beam endpoint for more effective burning.
Regarding maintaining focus - If the beam endpoint is even slightly out of focus, the power delivered to the target quickly drops off to unusable levels. I have a clip-on tripod attachment that I tried but rarely use. As I'm consistently changing the focal length based on the distance to the target. I've found it easier and faster to make minute adjustments by adjust the laser position closer/further to maintain focus. I've also found that for me, the best way to maintain focus is based on the sound of the target being eviscerated (snap, crackle, pop...) rather than trying to visually see the size of the beam endpoint (especially difficult with the EaglePair glasses.)

I'll work on setting up a video, for now - as many have asked about how handheld lasers are powered, here's a shot of the Li-Ion batteries being recharged after a successful laze session...

2012-05-04112202.jpg

ahub421

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having read this great thread twice I still have no clear idea of the best way to keep from blinding my lovely fish. In tank would seem to be best as one could get close up but I have to see the beam to kill so the fish should be able to see the beam as well. Then there are places in the tank where the target can't be attacked due to approach angle limitations.

Is seeing the beam from the side dangerous? Would seeing it hitting the target (non reflective rock) from an angle blind them?

This has to be an exceptional tool for my GSP but not at the price of having to kill one of my buddies because I blinded him.

I had thought maybe using a collapsible rubber bellows like used on an automotive CV joint then cut a hole in it to see the focus point. This would allow the bellows to some what form to the target area and limit the escaping light to the cut hole but would that bounce around off the inside of the glass and be strong enough to blind?

Seems like fish safety has to be resolved for this to be the magic tool.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if you can remove a rock with a pest on it, the laser would be more effective right? (Especially in a fully(fish) stocked reef.)

This looks like an awesome tool, and as prices drop, the cost will be significantly less then the time + product it takes to kill off aiptasia/algae/hydroids. I wonder if there is an option that is powerful enough to kill red bugs/nudi's yet "safe" for the coral.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, if you can remove a rock with a pest on it, the laser would be more effective right? (Especially in a fully(fish) stocked reef.)

This looks like an awesome tool, and as prices drop, the cost will be significantly less then the time + product it takes to kill off aiptasia/algae/hydroids. I wonder if there is an option that is powerful enough to kill red bugs/nudi's yet "safe" for the coral.

Sambo5860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tom
I have read this entire thread thoroughly and would like to invest in one of these lasers. Your 2.4 w laser, is it from Survival Laser, r was it custom made elsewhere.? I would interested in ordering the same...how do i do arrange that?
I certainly understand the risk and necessary safety precautions required.
I look forward to your response.

boyrgrl13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in Western Mass. newbie when it comes to lasers. I am looking to get a laser to control the Aptasia in my 120 reef tank. I have tried searching the net etc I cannot find anywhere that sells the whole laser for under $500. Can someone help me? What would you suggest, as far as color and strength of the beam. It's only Aptasia I have tried the Aptasia X and although it works I hate putting my hands into my tank and everytime I look again there's another one I missed. Any help is appreciated

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back