Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PM sent. : )

Hello and welcome to R2R!

We appreciate your membership!

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent over $800 on a laser. I'd not recommend it although its fun for a few minutes. Here's me zapping aiptasia...

reza5e5u.jpg

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually, after reading this, tried my 200mW red on a few green bta babies and some anthelia. The gbta, it worked well, just took a while. The anthelia, not so good. But I am looking at a stronger one note that I know it works.

I originally purchased it with the idea I would like to try it, but I sent my wife the first video and told her "see, I'm not the only mad scientist"!

Lol thanks all! I honestly think I'm going to drop my other forums! This is a one stop shop!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

I never got a reply to my PM. Anyone know where I can get the laser he recommends?
Checked his profile and seems he hasn't logged on since early June... however on his profile was this public message:

"Mine was built by Angelos Giannopoulos ([email protected]) His work is the very best I've seen and he's truly a nice guy. He frequents LaserPointerForums.com using the screen name Lazeerer. Do some perusing and you'll find some of his builds, including mine.

Good luck - Angelos won't steer you wrong.

Louey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

Checked his profile and seems he hasn't logged on since early June... however on his profile was this public message:

"Mine was built by Angelos Giannopoulos ([email protected]) His work is the very best I've seen and he's truly a nice guy. He frequents LaserPointerForums.com using the screen name Lazeerer. Do some perusing and you'll find some of his builds, including mine.

Good luck - Angelos won't steer you wrong.
I didn't notice that in his profile. Good eye, Stunreefer. Thanks!

saratj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 1.5-1.7w 445nm laser for pest anemone removal. I've used it on a few so far with so so results. I still do not know how to operate it with peak effeciency and I'm a little nervous of it as well. Focusing the lense and being still are what I'm working on now. The little beasties sizzle and pop when I get it right though.
image.jpg

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're to able to get in contact with him? On the laser forum? I haven't done anything so far because I've been tossing around just buying one from one of the online stores they mentioned. My 500mw red does a decent job, just takes to long. At this point though, I need it more for gbta's and overrun anthelia that is just getting annoying.

Any help you could suggest would be great..

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are my two. The red will burn the anthelia and gbta's, but it takes far too long..
9e5yhe7a.jpg
ma6edada.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Youri.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

Just read some of the reactions and they made me wonder.
I have some kind of anthelia that's becoming a plague and I want to deal with it by using a laser.
I live in the the Netherlands and I have found some lasers that might do the trick.

I found a blue/violet 405nm laser 200mw with glasses and a case for about €80 and a blue/violet 405nm laser 100mw for only €16 (but I think the 100mw one will not do the trick right?).

Just figured to check with you guys since it would save me a lot of money if the 100mw would work aswell.

ps. Maybe a silly question, but is there no danger of heating the glass by using the laser?

Best regards,

Youri

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a blue/violet 405nm laser 200mw with glasses and a case for about €80 and a blue/violet 405nm laser 100mw for only €16 (but I think the 100mw one will not do the trick right?).

Just figured to check with you guys since it would save me a lot of money if the 100mw would work aswell.

I can't say with complete certainty but I don't think either of those would be strong enough. I've read about many people that tried with those power without success. Keep in mind that distance will weaken the light and being able to focus the device to a tiny point helps tremendously. So you want the target closer if possible and a focusing lens on it. The color of light makes a difference also because shorter wavelengths have more energy, looks like you know that already though. Also turn off the pumps in the tank so that the moving water doesn't remove the heat of the light from the target too fast.
I've used a 2.4W (2400mW) 445nm that worked good.

ps. Maybe a silly question, but is there no danger of heating the glass by using the laser?

Never had a problem with damaging my glass, in fact the lens of the laser is made of glass.
Make sure you clean it real good before so that the most light possible reaches the target.

Seeming obvious things but need stated anyway:

ALWAYS wear glasses and NEVER let anybody watch without glasses!!!!!! It only takes a microsecond to cause permanent damage, even blindness.

Treat it like a loaded gun and lock it up without the batteries to prevent somebody playing with it, it's not a toy at this high power.

Be mindful of reflections off the glass because they will cause damage or start a fire. Burned a hole in my shirt the first time from not paying close attention :shocked: I place white towels in the area of the reflection to prevent damage. Dark colors will absorb the light and heat up quickly. Close your blinds so that stray reflections don't leave your house. I've seen posts about people damaging their cell phone, TV, anything with a screen by a quick flash of the laser over it. Also, don't shoot the beam straight in the tank so that the reflection doesn't go back in the laser.

I also moved my fish to a bucket to prevent them from going blind. My clownfish in particular is tank raised and wants to check out everything I do in the tank.

Refraction might throw you off a little. Some people use a cheap (weak) laser to practice how to aim the beam so that they don't burn something they care about.

Good luck with the pest removal, however you go about it! :laser:

Youri.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say with complete certainty but I don't think either of those would be strong enough. I've read about many people that tried with those power without success. Keep in mind that distance will weaken the light and being able to focus the device to a tiny point helps tremendously. So you want the target closer if possible and a focusing lens on it. The color of light makes a difference also because shorter wavelengths have more energy, looks like you know that already though. Also turn off the pumps in the tank so that the moving water doesn't remove the heat of the light from the target too fast.
I've used a 2.4W (2400mW) 445nm that worked good.

Never had a problem with damaging my glass, in fact the lens of the laser is made of glass.
Make sure you clean it real good before so that the most light possible reaches the target.

Seeming obvious things but need stated anyway:

ALWAYS wear glasses and NEVER let anybody watch without glasses!!!!!! It only takes a microsecond to cause permanent damage, even blindness.

Treat it like a loaded gun and lock it up without the batteries to prevent somebody playing with it, it's not a toy at this high power.

Be mindful of reflections off the glass because they will cause damage or start a fire. Burned a hole in my shirt the first time from not paying close attention :shocked: I place white towels in the area of the reflection to prevent damage. Dark colors will absorb the light and heat up quickly. Close your blinds so that stray reflections don't leave your house. I've seen posts about people damaging their cell phone, TV, anything with a screen by a quick flash of the laser over it. Also, don't shoot the beam straight in the tank so that the reflection doesn't go back in the laser.

I also moved my fish to a bucket to prevent them from going blind. My clownfish in particular is tank raised and wants to check out everything I do in the tank.

Refraction might throw you off a little. Some people use a cheap (weak) laser to practice how to aim the beam so that they don't burn something they care about.

Good luck with the pest removal, however you go about it! :laser:
Thanks for your response! I found a 2000mw for not that much more money. I think I will give it a try, and yes I will be very carefull! Would not want to harm anyone or any fish (and myself haha).

Best regards,
Youri

saratj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure 200mw would be very effective. I have a 1-1.5w 445nm laser and I wish It had a little more power sometimes, but Its also pretty Impressive It will set nearly anything you point It at on fire!
I usually have to go back an zap an anemone several times to kill it.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a laser that is actually 1.6 watts.
I have found that if you can't get at the entire thing including the base, it will just come back no matter how many times you blast it.
Would love to be able to afford a 3-4 watt one. Might be more effective.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
other than laser pointers which can cause blindness the only lasers I ever used were 2,000 watt co2 lasers and an unfocused beam, which you can not see, from it could pop concrete 100 Ft away of course it is not hand held. So always take safety serious with any laser beam even low power. Reflective beam from any laser is bad for the eyes and it it is strong enough to burn through glass and 2 feet of water then reflective beams are strong enough to cause a burn similar to sunburn.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back