Use of Lasers in Controlling Pest Algae and Corals

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by CalmSeasQuest, Dec 2, 2011.

1. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'm following you.. a different material than what?

The shield should be made of a colored plastic that attenuates the laser to a level that is not harmful but still allows enough of the light through that you can see what you are doing.

CJ

2. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

Thanks- I'm looking for material too. I was planning on ordering some samples of colored acrylic to see what worked and didn't. Acrylic can be heated in an oven and shaped fairly easily. The only problem I have is that I don't have a meter to test how much it is attenuated. You don't happen to have a LaserBee, do you?

I did make sure to use reef-safe silicon- Loctite to be specific.

CJ

3. jelly

jelly Well-Known Member

if you want to make it out of the same stuff the glasses y not ask the company what to classes are made of.

4. jelly

jelly Well-Known Member

5. CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest Well-Known Member

Thanks Jelly - We've located many sources for laser safe acrylic (including the one you provided.) One challenge is the cost. The least expensive 445nm OD4+ material I've found thus far is more than $180 per sq Ft.

6. CalmSeasQuest

I've held off purchasing a LaserBee, waiting to see what was learned in testing different methods. I was hoping to get known OD4+ material that would save the expense and hassle of purchasing equipment that is likely to be used just a few times.

I'm still researching getting a waterproof host built for a 405nm. I *think* that would provide the best of both worlds - best burning at lower power settings and the ability to work near the target requiring just an endpoint shield to protect the livestock.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  7. caudill187

caudill187 Well-Known Member

lol

8. bige

bige Well-Known Member

I am in austin and am going to get a laser soon. Are you on arc? Maybe we can get mrsaltwater to do a show.

9. bige

bige Well-Known Member

Since I am serious about getting a laser, can I have a link to a good laser that will kill pests like gsp, xenia, and aiptasia? I know this stuff is changing so I guess I need what would be the best right now.

10. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

This is just the sort of thing that we are trying to prevent. If you are going to do a show on lasers, is everyone going to buy goggles? How will you prevent anyone without goggles from walking in? How are you going to prevent damage to the eyes of the livestock?

Hopefully I'm just misunderstanding what you are proposing.

Xenia is going to be hard to kill this way since it is so big. Anything over 1W should be enough for the rest. As far as building one or buying one, I'd rather you do your own research so that you know what you are buying. Be sure to get laser safety glasses to protect you from the light at the specific frequency of the laser you are building/purchasing. You could start at laserpointerforums.com

CJ

11. bige

bige Well-Known Member

Mrsaltwater.com is a youtube show that show cases aquaria and general products. I would certainly take precautions since you guys keep stressing the importance. After all, sight is one of my favorite senses.

12. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

Thanks- sorry about that. I hadn't heard of that show and thought it might be a local vendor.

CJ

13. CalmSeasQuest

The OD4 acrylic (the most expensive square foot of .140" thick plastic I've ever purchased) should arrive next week so I can start working on the endpoint shield. While I'm looking forward to testing the underwater host, I'm finding extremely easy to work through the glass.

Today I cleared a large patch of Xenia that had grown from the side glass (where I allow it and GSP to exist) onto adjacent rock work. It took a couple of sessions (due to the 60 second duty cycle of my laser) to eliminate it. I've found it sometimes takes a brief additional lasing in a few days should any survive. Even with that it's extremely effective taking less than 10 minutes in total.

The testing on Valonia was also effective. I found that a few seconds lasing the entire bubble resulted in 100% kill rates. The bubble fades and dissolves over the following few days.

Bryopsis - I only had a small amount on a frag plug to work with, but although it seems tougher, also withers and dies. It takes a bit more lasing time, but it seems to have been effective as after a couple of weeks it has yet to return.

Although much of the discussion has "focused" on eradicating Aiptasia - I'm finding it incredible to be able to easily control Xenia and GSP. As many that have introduced them into their tank have found, it's very easy for both to get out of control. Lasers provide a fast and effective way to manage both.

14. CJO

CJO Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing the results.

CJ

15. CUTNUP

CUTNUP Active Member

Awesome thread. I thought LED's were the future. Who woulda thunk? Laser beams!

16. whyzee429

whyzee429 Well-Known Member

I'm definitely a fan of laserpointerforums.com. I have a 200mW red, an "overspec 5mW green (65mW), with a 1.2W blue on the way. The guys on these forums are awesome and extremely helpful much like a lot of the folks here. I'd recommend Lazerer.com as Max is an awesome guy. It's an interesting hobby that these guys are in to. Just don't forget safety glasses. You'd be surprised how intense these beams can be and how many reflective surfaces are in your house!

17. tankerman

tankerman Active Member

This is awesome! My wife was quick to shoot it down though.

18. whyzee429

whyzee429 Well-Known Member

The blue ray lasers in the 405nm range are pretty awesome. Eye safety can't be stressed enough though. These higher mW lasers are no joke.

19. EpicWin

EpicWin Well-Known Member

Love this thread

20. olaggie01

olaggie01 Well-Known Member

I am on ARC. I actually posted a question to Mark about the show.

Draft saved Draft deleted