Use of Lasers in Controlling Pest Algae and Corals

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by CalmSeasQuest, Dec 2, 2011.

1. CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest Well-Known Member

1. The only higher-power waterproof hosts I was aware of are from Lazerer. I purchased this one.
    2. My research indicated the Eagle Pair were the best available and appeared to be used by most serious lasers hobbyists. I purchased 2 pairs through Survival laser which is where I purchased the 1.8W 445nm.
    3. I haven't been able to locate a high power 405nm yet. I'm waiting for someone to produce one in a waterproof host.
    4. Nothing new yet - Current efforts detailed earlier in the thread.
    5. Both methods are viable. Lasing through the glass is the simplest, but operating submerged allows you to get closer, reduce potential reflections and use your hand to sheild the beam endpoint from the livestock. It also dramatically increases the thermal duty cycle. That said, both methods work well.

2. CalmSeasQuest

One other observation - After extended lasing session (Xenia) I noted that there is about a 20 point drop in ORP (440-420) which gradually recovers over the next few hours. I'm uncertain what is causing this, but it seems reasonable that organics might be released into the water column.

I've only noticed this thus far when lasing Xenia and I have not noted any negative impact form any other corals in the tank (including those within an inch of the targeted pests.) I run ROX 0.8 carbon on a continual basis.

3. fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Thanks Tom!! Cant wait to see and hear about the new stuff you try out and what works best!

4. CalmSeasQuest

Thanks fsu1dolfan :)

In addition to the already determined roles lasers can play in aquaria, I theorise it might also be a useful in cases of RTN. In essence, cauterizing a border, thereby separating the healthy tissue from the area of RTN. Thankfully I haven't had it occur to test.

5. thinkclear_9

thinkclear_9 New Member

anyone found out were to get the OD4 acrylic at yet

6. JaMan

JaMan Member

I'm interested in using a laser to control mushrooms. I would guess that they would be more difficult than xenia. Have you tried a laser on a mushroom? If so how well did it work and was there a change in your water quality?

7. Murfman

Murfman Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Guy in our local club just bought a 405nM and glasses. Can't wait to try it out!

8. swannyson7

swannyson7 Moderator/Acro Aficianado R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award CTARS Member Moderator Emeritus

Finally got my laser in the mail yesterday. Thus far I've only tried it on some GSP, anthelia, & protopalys, but it seems promising already. Love hearing that snap, crackle, pop coming from the pest corals!

9. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Well-Known Member

tagging along

10. jelly

jelly Well-Known Member

is there any more info on the use of lasers. i have a crap load of mojos i want to remove with one. dose any one have a DIY yet that will keep my corals and fish safe from stray beams.. what kind of laser would you recomend. show i get a water pruff laser or not.

11. EpicWin

EpicWin Well-Known Member

I just got mine a week ago. It is an amazing tool for the aquarist. Aptasia and mojo are easy with it.

12. CalmSeasQuest

Both lasers (waterproof 1.2W and non-waterproof 1.7W) continue to work very well. I find that I am working more from outside of the tank, alternating duty cycles with both lasers. Every pest targeted (except for Xenia) has been easily eradicated with the laser. Xenia continues to be a challenge. I've been able to contain it, but haven't had the patience to completely remove the larger patches.

I haven't had time to work on developing in-tank shielding. For me, it has not been critical as the clowns in my tank rarely leave their host. I'm convinced the laser can be a very valuable tool as long as safety protocols are observed.

13. jelly

jelly Well-Known Member

thank you. if i do intank i can just shield my other stuff with my hand. but if i go outside of tank i will need a shield. how well will they work on mushrooms. i been trying to get rid of a lot of mushrooms but they keep growning back.

14. FaviaFreak

FaviaFreak Weir Everywhere R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

so is their a certain laser pointer i should use? color of light etc.?

15. EpicWin

EpicWin Well-Known Member

Submersible 1.2 watt blue works very well!

16. NautilusQ

NautilusQ Well-Known Member

Although there's waterproof model, I could be still paranoid with regards to its lifespan if repeatedly immersed in tank. So, I could wrap it in clear plastic bag I suppose?

17. KoleTang

KoleTang Well-Known Member

18. NautilusQ

NautilusQ Well-Known Member

19. CalmSeasQuest

I don't think this method is viable for our use. The example laser used is a very lower power, fixed-focus laser "pointer", not burning lasers. This design "waterproofs" only the front of the laser. You could not submerge the entire host, eliminating most benefit.

20. jelly

jelly Well-Known Member

whats the larges laser you can get that is waterproof? and what range is the best 445 or 405?

Draft saved Draft deleted