Use of Lasers in Controlling Pest Algae and Corals

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OD4 acrylic (the most expensive square foot of .140" thick plastic I've ever purchased) should arrive next week so I can start working on the endpoint shield. While I'm looking forward to testing the underwater host, I'm finding extremely easy to work through the glass.

Today I cleared a large patch of Xenia that had grown from the side glass (where I allow it and GSP to exist) onto adjacent rock work. It took a couple of sessions (due to the 60 second duty cycle of my laser) to eliminate it. I've found it sometimes takes a brief additional lasing in a few days should any survive. Even with that it's extremely effective taking less than 10 minutes in total.

The testing on Valonia was also effective. I found that a few seconds lasing the entire bubble resulted in 100% kill rates. The bubble fades and dissolves over the following few days.

Bryopsis - I only had a small amount on a frag plug to work with, but although it seems tougher, also withers and dies. It takes a bit more lasing time, but it seems to have been effective as after a couple of weeks it has yet to return.

Although much of the discussion has "focused" on eradicating Aiptasia - I'm finding it incredible to be able to easily control Xenia and GSP. As many that have introduced them into their tank have found, it's very easy for both to get out of control. Lasers provide a fast and effective way to manage both.
You could have very well stated this already; but what model laser are you using? This is very interesting to say the least. I have a few pest aptasia that will not die even with the repeated dosing of aptasia x.

whyzee429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking a 1W or 1.2W would do the trick. Like anything, there are a bunch of sites that sell pure crap. There are some companies that offer nice products that won't break the bank. You'll find much more info on laserpointerforums.com though. We do reefs, they do lasers. :)

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have very well stated this already; but what model laser are you using? This is very interesting to say the least. I have a few pest aptasia that will not die even with the repeated dosing of aptasia x.

from the 1st post on page 1; I've ordered the components to build a 1800mW / 445nm laser to test the above theories and develop effective practices. Here's what the components look like (you can't purchase pre-built due to FDA regs)...

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the 1st post on page 1; I've ordered the components to build a 1800mW / 445nm laser to test the above theories and develop effective practices. Here's what the components look like (you can't purchase pre-built due to FDA regs)...
Thanks, I found it. That is a pretty baller setup; a little too rich for me haha.

CJO- what laser are you using?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using an Aura c6 host from Garoq, a M140 diode from DTR and safety glasses, batteries and charger from Survival Laser. Total cost was around $200.

CJ

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if you have found a good way to keep fish and other critters from swimming in front of the beam when your trying to laz stuff in your tank. I know you have been experimenting but am curious to know if you have found a solution. I wouldnt mind trying this method but I have lots of fish and the second they see me down stairs they are following me around there is no way I could point a laser in my tank without one of them swimming in front of the beam. My xenia seems to be adapting to kalkwasser paste. It grows back quicker after each round. Ive got the dough but until some good saftey measures have been established I am holding off. Thanks for the hard work and new ideas guys.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking a 1W or 1.2W would do the trick. Like anything, there are a bunch of sites that sell pure crap. There are some companies that offer nice products that won't break the bank. You'll find much more info on laserpointerforums.com though. We do reefs, they do lasers. :)

I believe (based on the limited amount of testing I've done) that for this use - higher power is better. I've noted that others using ~1W lasers have difficulty eliminating lighter colored or translucent targets such as Xenia whereas my 1.8W with the G-1 lens is effective at making them "disappear". I also believe that 445nm is not the ideal wavelength for this use. Everything I've read suggests that 405nm would be more effective at lower power settings. I'm still working on acquiring a waterproof host and components for a >1.5mW 405nm build.

Bingo - Thanks Murfman. Mine was purchased through Survival Laser

Just curious if you have found a good way to keep fish and other critters from swimming in front of the beam when your trying to laz stuff in your tank. I know you have been experimenting but am curious to know if you have found a solution. I wouldnt mind trying this method but I have lots of fish and the second they see me down stairs they are following me around there is no way I could point a laser in my tank without one of them swimming in front of the beam. My Xenia seems to be adapting to kalkwasser paste. It grows back quicker after each round. Ive got the dough but until some good saftey measures have been established I am holding off. Thanks for the hard work and new ideas guys.
IMO, protecting the livestock is a one of the greatest challenges for the use of lasers in aquaria. It's a relatively simple matter to protect the user and observers by REQUIRING the wearing of appropriate rated eye protection and controlling the environment where the laser is being used. No such simple option exists for the tank's inhabitants. A few of us are working on different options including underwater lasing (allowing the host to be placed very close to the target) and underwater shielding. Time (and more testing) will tell which methods are best.

A word of caution to those new to this topic...

HIGH POWER LASERS ARE DANGEROUS.

PLEASE take the time to read the entire thread with special emphasis on the risks and safety suggestions. Under no circumstance should you fire a laser without the proper eye protection for everyone within range of the laser (many hundreds of yards ~ miles depending on power and focus.)

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[/QUOTE]
A few of us are working on different options including underwater lasing (allowing the host to be placed very close to the target) and underwater shielding. Time (and more testing) will tell which methods are best.[/QUOTE]

This lazer says it is water proof. Now does this mean it is submersible? Cyber 445nm - 1.2W Focusable Blue Laser Pointer Water Proof Havnt found any reviews where people have submersed these high powered lazers.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mind just found a review where a guy submerged his and said it worked fine
I've received conflicting reports on the underwater hosts. I've not seen any videos posted as of yet and one user indicated it was very difficult to maintain a focus point fine enough to be effective. I'm hoping my waterproof 1.2W will arrive this week for more testing.

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I will probably be ordering one this week. I could send you my review when I am done. I have taken your advice and have been looking at saftey procedures and of course I will order the proper saftey glasses as well.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes please share all reviews! Everyone start a new thread per new review! ;)

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lazer is in the mail. Plan on putting it through its paces when I get it, will mostly be used for underwater applications. After reading on laserpointerforums.com and looking at some good reviews and videos of this lazer being submerged I figured it was a good place to start. Review will be coming soon. Hopefully it works as well as I hope because it cost me less than 200$. Still a little spendy but not outrageous or out of budget for most reefers.

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lazer is in the mail. Plan on putting it through its paces when I get it, will mostly be used for underwater applications. After reading on laserpointerforums.com and looking at some good reviews and videos of this lazer being submerged I figured it was a good place to start. Review will be coming soon. Hopefully it works as well as I hope because it cost me less than 200$. Still a little spendy but not outrageous or out of budget for most reefers.
I'm also curious to see how the Lazerer waterproof host performs (if it ever arrives.) You did purchase eye protection right?

whyzee429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will arrive, eventually lol. It takes about 11 days to get to me from Lazerer. The waterproof host that my 200mW red has is pretty legit. I've had it in my tank a few times and it's been fine.

What did you order Me z?

Me z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the cyber 1.2w waterproof 445nm lazer. I thought it was in the mail but evidently they havnt shipped it yet. If they havnt shipped by tomorrow I think I will get a refund and shop somewhere else. I wouldnt be upset but the payment cleared almost a week ago and when I asked they told me the order was still being processed. IDK What else they need to process but I would like it shipped soon. Yes calmsea I ordered two pairs of eye protection along with a power certificate which from what I have read on lazerpointerforums.com is usually dead on and they like to overspec this lazer to around 1.35w. I did indeed read your whole thread and read extensively on lazer specific forums and sites before making my purchase, well and of course picking your brain a little.

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone who has ordered from this place and received the product give me some feedback on the laser it's self?

OP
OP
CalmSeasQuest

CalmSeasQuest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone who has ordered from this place and received the product give me some feedback on the laser it's self?
I wish I could. I'm still waiting on delivery of an order placed on 12/15. In comparison, my SurvivalLaser purchase was received 3 days later.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back