Used 2x radion xr30 g4 vs kessil ap9x vs 2x kessil 360x?

Which light option?

• Used XR30 g4 x2

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Kessil a360x x2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kessil ap9x

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone.

I am planning a new aquarium for dimensions of a Red Sea reefer 250 or 350 (depending on what I can get used).

I want to have a decent amount of SPS but ultimately it will be a mixed tank.

I have owned a kessil in the past and really enjoyed it and have been debating on doing 2 360x or ap9x; however, someone offered me a deal of: used apex classic + mods, 2 used xr30 g4, and mp4qwd for $750 which I believe to be a killer deal. For the approximately the same price I could buy the new kessil lights I am also considering. I know that if I buy the used radion I will need to buy diffusers because the disco ball effect does drive me nuts!

Any suggestions on which would be better for this set up?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always a believer in buying used whenever possible. The only hesitancy I have with that deal you said was the apex classic, since it's not compatible with Trident, but you could keep that as a spare for a nano or something.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm always a believer in buying used whenever possible. The only hesitancy I have with that deal you said was the apex classic, since it's not compatible with Trident, but you could keep that as a spare for a nano or something.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. I tried to negotiate without the apex to buy a new one and they said same price so… might as well take it if I do that.

You think all options listed here are sufficient for a good amount of sps in that size of a tank?

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think any of these would be just fine. This is how I'd list them personally:

1) Radion - gold standard for growing SPS
2) 2x 360x - just because you can space these out to your liking vs. being locked into the AP9x size.
3) AP9X

One other option you could consider is trying to see if saltwateraquarium.com still has the AP700 in their clearance section. I got two of them for $500 each over my 120g and it's been perfect.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back