Used acrylic tank purchase - top access area limitation questions

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am considering the purchase of a used 180gl acrylic tank. I would say the top of the tank is covered about 60% in acrylic. What I am wondering is what others have experienced with this such as access into all areas of the tank with hands, and also does the top acrylic limit light penetration where there is no opening?

any advice no experience with this would be much appreciated .

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I am considering the purchase of a used 180gl acrylic tank. I would say the top of the tank is covered about 60% in acrylic. What I am wondering is what others have experienced with this such as access into all areas of the tank with hands, and also does the top acrylic limit light penetration where there is no opening?

any advice no experience with this would be much appreciated .
Seek clarity - are you saying there is a top cover of acrylic over 60% of tank?

If so never saw one built like that. If so, perhaps done for structural reasons so you likely would have to leave it in place so sides don't blow out.

I have 180g glass tank. Wish I had left room behind tank so my body and stool/ladder could fit to access & reach from that side of tank into bottom, but now wall is in my way. There have been times I wish my tank canopy wasn't in my way (though, it can be and has been lifted off). If I were to lose 60% access thru my top ... wow - it would be a lot more cleaning creativity work... Do love size of 180g so don't want to say its not possible. Perhaps I would have less rockwork/aquascape and more negative space, which can be pretty. Here is link to my tank:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the tank is drilled and you plan on running a sump then light mounting will probably be the only issue. Nothing will be able to be clamped to the top. May also make cleaning a bit of a pain.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fish Think Pink covered a lot of the reasons a “fish tank” is not necessarily the best fit to put a reef into. The access limits are similar in deeper open top tanks but no where near as severe when you have to try and reach across a long distance under water.

The light penetration under the top piece of acrylic is impaired. Condensation and salt splash exasperate this and you have one more surface that is difficult to reach that needs to be kept clean to allow light into the tank to feed coral.

still, having a fish tank is better than nothing, just limited a bit more than the open top reef tanks that are designed to replace fish tanks for reef keepers.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fish Think Pink covered a lot of the reasons a “fish tank” is not necessarily the best fit to put a reef into. The access limits are similar in deeper open top tanks but no where near as severe when you have to try and reach across a long distance under water.

The light penetration under the top piece of acrylic is impaired. Condensation and salt splash exasperate this and you have one more surface that is difficult to reach that needs to be kept clean to allow light into the tank to feed coral.

still, having a fish tank is better than nothing, just limited a bit more than the open top reef tanks that are designed to replace fish tanks for reef keepers.
@KrisReef's implied suggestion doing FOWLR (fish only with live rock) tank with this tank design has advantages if your fish list includes fish that love to jump! Many species are Olympic Carpet Surfers, and this is a tank design that may help increase fish lifespans by inhibiting their deadly out-of-tank hobby

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic tanks have routed out access openings for several reasons. First off without the top the thickness of acrylic require would be about 1.5 thick or greater....so lots of money! With the top the tank should be minimum of 1/2 thick as the top prevents the tank from bowing excessively. The top also allows about 96% of light transmission when it is clean inside and out. They work fine for any kind of reef tank you want. In some of my personal acrylic tanks (I have built hundreds over 25 years plus) metal halide light systems seem to create some crazing in the clear tops after 20 years plus of use.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back