Used live rock

Vicxdaxbrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up some live rock on offerup yesterday. The guy had it in a sealed plastic container with water in it from his established tank that was broken down about a month prior (post was up for a month). Question is do I treat this rock as brand new and completely wash it and cycle it all over again? Or is there a "softer" way to clean the rock (assuming it has unwanted pests/bacteria) and save the "cycled" rock to use in my tank sooner?

I have a 60gal with 45lbs of rock that has been running for about 8 months, few fish, coral, invertebrates, just wanted to add about 20lbs of more rock. Thanks.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up some live rock on offerup yesterday. The guy had it in a sealed plastic container with water in it from his established tank that was broken down about a month prior (post was up for a month). Question is do I treat this rock as brand new and completely wash it and cycle it all over again? Or is there a "softer" way to clean the rock (assuming it has unwanted pests/bacteria) and save the "cycled" rock to use in my tank sooner?

I have a 60gal with 45lbs of rock that has been running for about 8 months, few fish, coral, invertebrates, just wanted to add about 20lbs of more rock. Thanks.
Inspect for pests, and add a rock or 2 to your tank.
Add your old water from water change to acquired rock with heater and pump.
Add slowly to your tank over a few weeks.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful, though. It takes awhile for some pests to appear, as some hitchhikers may arrive on eggs hidden deep with the rock, and it take time for them to hatch and grow. If you are wary about bad hitchhikers (and parasites) -- and I have or have had many of them -- it's not a bad idea to put them in a quarantine tank first so that you can observe and, perhaps, treat. I couldn't do that with one used build that I bought, and have been removing majanos and aiptasia since then.

OP
OP
Vicxdaxbrick

Vicxdaxbrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful, though. It takes awhile for some pests to appear, as some hitchhikers may arrive on eggs hidden deep with the rock, and it take time for them to hatch and grow. If you are wary about bad hitchhikers (and parasites) -- and I have or have had many of them -- it's not a bad idea to put them in a quarantine tank first so that you can observe and, perhaps, treat. I couldn't do that with one used build that I bought, and have been removing majanos and aiptasia since then.
Ok I got a qt I can set them in for now

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can give my 2 cents worth.... I would sterilize it, and then just add it into your tank.
you can find lots of tips on cleaning the rock ...bleach or muriatic acid wash.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back