Used Rock

madmarks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just purchased about 80lbs of used live rock for a very reasonable price; it has completely dried out. However, all the rock is covered in what looks like old algae, dried Aiptasia tubes/skeletons, and a few of the rocks have dead bristle worms and what looks like the odd small mussel shell.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Given that the rock is completely dried out do I run a risk of importing pests?
2. Would soaking the rock in 3% Hydrogen Peroxide be advised?
3. Is it best to leave the organic debris on to help cycle the tank when I set the tank up? (Note: I have not started my tank yet)

Thanks!

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just purchased about 80lbs of used live rock for a very reasonable price; it has completely dried out. However, all the rock is covered in what looks like old algae, dried Aiptasia tubes/skeletons, and a few of the rocks have dead bristle worms and what looks like the odd small mussel shell.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Given that the rock is completely dried out do I run a risk of importing pests?
2. Would soaking the rock in 3% Hydrogen Peroxide be advised?
3. Is it best to leave the organic debris on to help cycle the tank when I set the tank up? (Note: I have not started my tank yet)

Thanks!
1. There can still be spores of certain organisms I suppose, depends on how long it has been dried out. Algae in particular can bounce back pretty well even after prolonged periods of desiccation.
2. That can work, yeah. Hydrogen peroxide is a pretty decent catch-all method to sterilize things lol.
3. "Best" is kinda subjective, so I'll just offer what I'd do: I'd just won't bother with trying to 'clean' those rocks and yeah, just cycle with them. I generally go for a more 'controlled' method of cycling, i.e. use ammonia, but I also see value in just letting all that organic material and anything that may remain alive/dormant in those rocks help establish the aquarium during the cycle. At the end of the day, pests are really hard to avoid, so I would not mind risking it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back