Used tank versus brand new tank

Upgrading to a 120-150 gallon system - Would you purchase new or hunt used for cheaper?

• Brand spanking new

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Used - Old reliable

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

THESTRZA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Want to get opinions and hear experiences on whether to buy a Brand New larger tank versus a Used tank. Obviously price is a factor, but Id love to hear experiences.

Looking to go 120-150 gallon display about 6 feet. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tanks can fail just like used. I like the comfort of buying new with hopefully a warranty, but if buying used, I will reseal the seals if required.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost is a big factor, used generally (empty) can be 50% -80%, cheaper with a stand, if your happy with resealing and conditions of used it means more money diverted to equipment:)... Then inhabitants :)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i try and go for used to save money. i tend to DIY stuff so it helps reduce cost but it does come with its cons (having to do initial modifications or maintenance) that buying new doesn’t have

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since the tank is not going to be the biggest expense (like most folks initially think, including me), I'll buy new for peace of mind. Caveat, even new can have issues.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The major advantage of new is that you can get the size and fittings you want and plan your equipment around it. For used, it is more a matter of what comes up on the local market that will work or sorta work,

Also if there are issues, your LFS can run interference with the manufacturer especially if it is a good one,

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the either or camp. If your patient, you can find a heck of a deal, used, especially now with a lot of 'covid' reefers getting out of the hobby.

I've recently had a seam begin to fail on a 15 month old tank. LFS brushed me off, I ended up going directly to the manufacturer (who was local) and they resealed the tank under warranty. Things can and will happen either way.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I sometimes buy used gear, but my tanks are always new. I'm just too bothered by scratches and other imperfections. But, if you are the type that doesn't care about that stuff.... you can save a ton by going used.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back