Uses for skimmate

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An old reefer I knew was feeding dilute skim to rotifers to feed his clown fry. I don't know how much he diluted but he said it was rich in nutrients. If I had a room away from the house I'd try it too. That skim sure stinks o_O

OP
OP
Artimusclyde1974

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I took half of that jar (maybe 5% of my culture bucket) and tossed it in my refurgium and it covered my refurgium walls with these bad boys!
I really think skim is a great food source

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - solid and semi-solid skimmate is a concentrated bacteria soup. The thick "clay" that you get everywhere in the skimmer - just bacteria, bacteria and bacteria. The water in the skimmer cup is a concentrated nutrient soup including bacteria, bacteria and bacteria. Not surprised at all that it gives good results when you feed copepods - it should be the same for corals IMO.

In periods - i just let the skimmate go down in the sump (using the cup but have a drain into the sump) I have had some idea to collect skimmate during day (in the skimmer cup) and release it again (after a 20 H growth period) into the aquarium for 4 hours during night. For me - it is like the skimmer cup can work as a "green house" for bacteria. I have a small dream to populate my aquarium with NPS corals and this could be a way to do it.

I have an idea (that´s I have start to collect equipment for) to construct a bio filter that will run in a low flow during day (bacteria build up) and periodically run at 100 % speed during night time ("back flush" - cleaning the filter media) It should be a perfect nitrification filter too. But after reading this thread - I probably change my mind in the future and try to figure out how to dose my collected liquid skimmate into the aquarium during night time. To be honest - I have already figure that out - it maybe time to test it :)

I have also during periods injected my plenum below my RRDSB (RemotedReversedDeepSandBed) as a DOC source - especially in the start of my aquarium

Sincerely Lasse

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably change my mind in the future and try to figure out how to dose my collected liquid skimmate into the aquarium during night time. To be honest - I have already figure that out - it maybe time to test it :)

Sincerely Lasse
A drain from your skimmer cup, into a bottle connected to a doser ?

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Artimusclyde1974

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed heavy amount of skim b4 bed. This is the same jar as my first video this is it this morning

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A drain from your skimmer cup, into a bottle connected to a doser ?
No - more to have a suction tube from a doser into the skimmer cup - it is more safe that way. But your idea rise another idea. A doser that dose skimmate into a gently aerated bottle connected with another dosing head that pump out the same amount that is pumped in (into the bottle) into the display. And seeding the bottle with copepods. Voila - an automatic breeder and feeder of both bacteria and copepods :)

A skimmer only removes about +- 30% of DOC and very selective but this 30% may include most toxins, as the neurotoxin Saxitoxin. I think the reuse of skimmate is not a good idea.
At least not to devour it - it means that the following posts is outdated :D:D:D

personally I use it instead of milk in my shakes
A teaspoon in my morning coffee really perks me up!
Skimmate straight-shots?
More about Saxitoxin - specially chapter 7 is of interest - and it is produced by Dinoflagellates !!!!

Sincerely Lasse

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been diluting skim in 5 gallons of water, and watering my plants. Alternate between front yard and back. They seem to love it. Wonder about the salt tho lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back