Uses for skimmate

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't the sulpher dioxide be toxic in high enough doses? It's an interesting concept though. For now I think I'd use some to feed pods - maybe rots as well. Who knows - the hobby is always evolving in all sorts of ways.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you dilute the skimmate? Have you tried it on any other plants?

I dump the skimmate into a 3G watering can and then fill it with water. I only use it on my outdoor plants and veggies, but I have a friend who uses it on all of his indoor plants as well.

Mark_C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arti,
Great idea. I've been keeping a pod collection going on spirulina but growth is slow. Dumping in some skim tonight :) Will update in a week or two.

krbnsol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use it for plant food, 1 spoon of skim to a pint of fresh water , plants grow great. thinking of selling it as organic plant food

*mind blown* I've been just dumping the gunk down the drain ----- may start collecting it for the garden!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't the sulpher dioxide be toxic in high enough doses? It's an interesting concept though. For now I think I'd use some to feed pods - maybe rots as well. Who knows - the hobby is always evolving in all sorts of ways.
I suppose you mean Hydrogen sulphide - yes it could be toxic but it will disappear directly in contact with oxygen.

Sincerely Lasse

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just reading that to get some of the salt out of the skim you can peel and cut potatoes and put them in and they absorb some of the salt. Just a thought for those that are using for plants.

Butcher333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude. How much skimmate are you adding to the jar. A few drops? I was just wondering this and you’ve already tried. But how much are you adding?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
makes great shampoo !!!

1598321526447.png

PLEASE DON'T - WAS JUST KIDDING !!!!

adtravels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use it for plant food, 1 spoon of skim to a pint of fresh water , plants grow great. thinking of selling it as organic plant food

I have been using skimmate in pot plants, on the lawn and in the hedge around my house for 3 months now agter reading this thread. I dont dilute it but do get high rainfall. No ill effects at all. Growth seems good on plants

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...this sounds like a much better idea for fertilizing macros than using brine shrimp hatching water. It also sounds a bit removed, but similar to the Trident Method. I wonder how semi-hydroponic plants would react to it....hmmmm....so many experiments to be done....

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow my mind is blown! Got lots of uses for skimmate now!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back