Using a razor blade to remove bta from glass tank ? Yes it’s possible..... just be very careful

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if anyone has tried this and will it work without harming this anemone. My plan is to use new clean single edge razor and with 1 slow swipe scrape anemone off the glass. The food on anemone is only about nickel size

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried about cutting the foot. I have always used a credit card/ gift card.

Admittedly I have not tried a razor. Let us know how it goes if you try it.
If razor is ran perfectly along glass how will this cut foot ? Maybe take less then A film coatings worth Off of foot that is attached to glass

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried about cutting the foot. I have always used a credit card/ gift card.

Admittedly I have not tried a razor. Let us know how it goes if you try it.
Usually I use my finger nail And I get them off without damage but they don’t like it to much just thought I’d try something else

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always just used my fingernail, I feel like I have more control this way. But I agree that the razor blade probably wouldve hurt the nem. Dull, thin objects like credit cards & nails are better for this since youre way less likely to nick the foot, which would be pretty bad for a nem that small

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The edge of the blade is much thinner than a credit card, and in my opinion would cause less damage. I've used fingernail before and they dont really like that but it works..

I'd give the blade a try,, make sure and rinse it in RO water first to get any manufacturing oils off of it

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always just used my fingernail, I feel like I have more control this way. But I agree that the razor blade probably wouldve hurt the nem. Dull, thin objects like credit cards & nails are better for this since youre way less likely to nick the foot, which would be pretty bad for a nem that small
I would not think There is a possibility to Nick the foot if razor is slide across the glass

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t plan to pick and prod at the foot I plan to make a clean swipe off the glass as you would if cleaning algae from glass

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use edge of a credit card. Razor ... one slip and nem is done

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
have never tried razor blade .always credit card,in theory held tight and clean should work,keep us posted ;)

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are dead set on using a razor blade I would throw out the recommendation of using a plastic razor blade and not a metal one..

We keep these for removing stickers etc..
277C2C77-781A-444C-82DC-D086B0731049.jpeg

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are dead set on using a razor blade I would throw out the recommendation of using a plastic razor blade and not a metal one..

We keep these for removing stickers etc..
277C2C77-781A-444C-82DC-D086B0731049.jpeg
I would definitly only be using a metal razor. My theory on this it will slide right between glass and foot with ease

Tinvn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take an ice cube or just your finger and aggressively rub the foot of the anemone where it attaches to the rocks and glass . The foot start to detach.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a more appropriate question is whether or not you need to use a razor blade. And the answer is simple -- you don't.

Are previously mentioned, credit and gift cards work perfectly fine. As do fingers and a little nudge.

Since there's no issue to solve, no need to find a new solution.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a more appropriate question is whether or not you need to use a razor blade. And the answer is simple -- you don't.

Are previously mentioned, credit and gift cards work perfectly fine. As do fingers and a little nudge.

Since there's no issue to solve, no need to find a new solution.
But if a razor works perfectly and it’s easier why wouldn’t everyone want to know this and it seems like no one has responded they’ve done it with poor results don’t do it everyone just wants to say don’t do it because you possibly could cut the anemone but you could do the same thing with a plastic razor blade if not carefully done or your finger nail I don’t know about you but I have sharp fingernails

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I can’t get an answer of anyone actually doing it and failing only a bunch of people saying don’t do it because they are scared I will try it and reply back with the results

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back