Using a razor blade to remove bta from glass tank ? Yes it’s possible..... just be very careful

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if a razor works perfectly and it’s easier why wouldn’t everyone want to know this and it seems like no one has responded they’ve done it with poor results don’t do it everyone just wants to say don’t do it because you possibly could cut the anemone but you could do the same thing with a plastic razor blade if not carefully done or your finger nail I don’t know about you but I have sharp fingernails
Um because a gift card works perfectly and you don't risk cutting the nem.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For atraumatic removal of anemone from GLASS, the razor blade is best. The sharper the better. Credit card is OK but if you choose by see the amount of tissue leave behind, wich you can feel with credit card, the razor blade remove everything and the anemone loose nothing.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I can’t get an answer of anyone actually doing it and failing only a bunch of people saying don’t do it because they are scared I will try it and reply back with the results
No one has done it because there's no need to try. I really don't understand why you want to try someone different, with an added risk, when you're presented with a solution that works -- and works really well.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one has done it because there's no need to try. I really don't understand why you want to try someone different, with an added risk, when you're presented with a solution that works -- and works really well.
This is not true. I always use razor blade if the anemone is on glass, never cut my anemone either.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For atraumatic removal of anemone from GLASS, the razor blade is best. The sharper the better. Credit card is OK but if you choose by see the amount of tissue leave behind, wich you can feel with credit card, the razor blade remove everything and the anemone loose nothing.
I use the thinner gift cards and there's no tissue left behind. I place it at about a 45-degree angle.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not understanding why the risk is necessary when a credit card works just fine.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not saying that other method does not work. For me, using finger have much higher risk of puncture a hole in the foot. Using a credit card leave a layer of slime behind for me, meaning tissue off the anemone's foot, I presume like peeling a layer of skin off. Using a razor blade, there is nothing leave behind and the anemone attach right away within minutes when I move him to a new situation.

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the suggestion of a plastic razor over a metal one but a fingernail or plastic c/c is a far better choice. Let us know the result but remember you are gambling with a live animal. If that doesn't enter into your thought process than i'd say reefing is probably not your best option for a hobby....Just sayin.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks this the kind of response I’m looking for

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before pic

A95549B0-DC17-4278-9AF3-D1633F9DA57A.jpeg

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be scared it’s just a razor.....:)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that doesn't change the risk of potential damage. Not everyone has steady hands or is comfortable handling a razor blade. I'm sure my kid could carve a great pumpkin with a sharp knife, but it's safer for him to use a pumpkin knife and it works just fine.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But that doesn't change the risk of potential damage. Not everyone has steady hands or is comfortable handling a razor blade. I'm sure my kid could carve a great pumpkin with a sharp knife, but it's safer for him to use a pumpkin knife and it works just fine.
Smh do you realize it took as long as it takes to sneeze. 1 swipe and done. I’m not sure how much your hands shake but my 98 year old grandpa could have done it

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back