Using a sump designed for Triton method in a non-Triton tank.

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I recently acquired a Trigger system Triton 44 sump for free, just needs some cracks repaired. This will be the sump for my new 150G build. I will not be using the Triton method, however. Has anybody done something similar? How did you plumb everything?

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same sump, but the 39 gallon size. When I set up my tank, I was going to run Triton, but now just run a standard tank and wish I had gotten one that could use filter socks.

As far as I know, there's no way to use mechanical filtration easily. I pump a lot of flow through my sump, and if I try media in the area where the sponge resides, it just gets pushed out

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same sump, but the 39 gallon size. When I set up my tank, I was going to run Triton, but now just run a standard tank and wish I had gotten one that could use filter socks.

As far as I know, there's no way to use mechanical filtration easily. I pump a lot of flow through my sump, and if I try media in the area where the sponge resides, it just gets pushed out
Isn't the whole idea behind the Triton method high flow through the sump? I have a KLIR DI-7 and the stand for it. I bough it for my 75G with the idea that I could use it on a larger tank. I bought a 150G from SCA on Black Friday on a whim, so that turned out to be a great plan. Anyway, I plan to run that, I'm just not 100% sold on having it in the refugium. By the way, the 44 has 3 spots for 4" filter socks, the 34 (what I assume you meant?) has 2 slots for filter socks.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I recently acquired a Trigger system Triton 44 sump for free, just needs some cracks repaired. This will be the sump for my new 150G build. I will not be using the Triton method, however. Has anybody done something similar? How did you plumb everything?
I have the same Triton 44v2 sump under my tank and do not use the Triton method. I just liked the layout and size for what I was working with. You can see how it's plumbed in on my build thread if you like.
That is one nice freebie you aquired.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the whole idea behind the Triton method high flow through the sump? I have a KLIR DI-7 and the stand for it. I bough it for my 75G with the idea that I could use it on a larger tank. I bought a 150G from SCA on Black Friday on a whim, so that turned out to be a great plan. Anyway, I plan to run that, I'm just not 100% sold on having it in the refugium. By the way, the 44 has 3 spots for 4" filter socks, the 34 (what I assume you meant?) has 2 slots for filter socks.
Triton needs a large refugium and skimmer for nutrient export since there are no scheduled water changes. I took out my sox 3 years ago.

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same Triton 44v2 sump under my tank and do not use the Triton method. I just liked the layout and size for what I was working with. You can see how it's plumbed in on my build thread if you like.
That is one nice freebie you aquired.
It looks like it's plumbed like it would be for Triton method? It is a nice freebie, I need a few of the accessories for it too, but it was well worth it imo. I like the size of the refugium, but am not a fan of the lay out. That being said, it's either this or a DIY sump out of a 40 breeder and baffles.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it's plumbed like it would be for Triton method? It is a nice freebie, I need a few of the accessories for it too, but it was well worth it imo. I like the size of the refugium, but am not a fan of the lay out. That being said, it's either this or a DIY sump out of a 40 breeder and baffles.
I didn't rearrange anything. So yes the refugium is first. I am running socks. I like the large refugium that was on of the draws to the sump. Hopefully you can fix yours with a little Weld-on 16. Is it just cracked or are there chuncks missing?

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't rearrange anything. So yes the refugium is first. I am running socks. I like the large refugium that was on of the draws to the sump. Hopefully you can fix yours with a little Weld-on 16. Is it just cracked or are there chuncks missing?
I won't be running socks in mine, but I will be running a Klir DI-7. I just don't like the idea of it draining into the refugium where macro algae could potentially ingress the unit. The sump is just cracked, one long crack vertically about 1" in from the side, and the center brace cracked through. I'll use Weldon #4 to fix it.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah weldon 4 looks like a way better choice.
Are you going to use one of these brackets or make your own mount?
DI-7 bracket
Either way, you might be able to still use the refugium lid if you notch out the corner.

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah weldon 4 looks like a way better choice.
Are you going to use one of these brackets or make your own mount?
DI-7 bracket
Either way, you might be able to still use the refugium lid if you notch out the corner.
I have the DI-7 and bracket running in my current 75G tank. It has a DIY sump made from a 30G tank with siliconed glass baffles, so I needed the stand to make it work. My sump didn't come with the lid, which is fine to me. I can make one if I really need it.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't be running socks in mine, but I will be running a Klir DI-7. I just don't like the idea of it draining into the refugium where macro algae could potentially ingress the unit.
How about adding baffles in the corner of the refugium to make a small section just large enough to fit the DI-7 to keep the algae away from it?
Screenshot_20220124-134246_Chrome Beta.jpg

Or if you did the same thing but in the middle of the refugium. I wonder if that would create two areas of different flow in the refugium. Lower flow on drain side and the DI-7 and higher flow on the return side.
Screenshot_20220124-134538_Chrome Beta.jpg

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's probably what I'll end up doing.

On a side note, Coralvue sent me a new stand because my original one was not machined properly. Ooof, it take up about 1/4 of the refugium.

20220126_180624.jpg 20220126_180632_HDR.jpg 20220126_180640_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
I

ironman187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about cutting out the original sock area?
Yes, the filter stand fits under there, I'm just wrestling with the idea of how to cut it out without it looking absolutely wretched. The plastic is about 3/8 thick. Maybe an oscillating tool?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back