Using arm mount for Kessil Ap9x on a rimmed 40 gallon breeder?

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at maybe getting a Kessil Ap9x for my 40 gallon breeder in the future. I would rather not hang it from my ceiling if I could help it, so I was thinking about getting the mounting arm and attaching it to my aquarium. The only problem is that my tank has the black rim around the edge, so I’m not sure it will fit out of the box. That being said, will it hurt the integrity of the tank if I trim a small section of the black rim at the top where I would want to mount the lighting arm if that’s what it takes to make it work?

Kayanarka

Peg Leg Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what I have done in the past with rimmed aquariums is put something as a spacer, like a piece of rubber or foam.

OP
OP
D

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’m thinking there is some way I can make it work. I might just go ahead and order the arm and see what I can do

MarioNoviello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same issue with the mounting arm not fitting on the rimmed tank. What did you do to make it work?

OP
OP
D

danieljones8623

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same issue with the mounting arm not fitting on the rimmed tank. What did you do to make it work?
I actually emailed the people at Kessil and they told me it wouldn’t work. I went ahead and bought it anyway, and I thought if it didn’t work, I’d send it back. So when I got it, at first it wouldn’t fit. All I did to make it fit though, was I took my pocket knife and shaved the rim a little. This is what it looks like on my tank.

image.jpg

NASAGeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgraded to an AP9X over my 40 Breeder - Project Ghetto Tank - and the arm fit perfectly without using the two supplied spacers. I wonder if they are shipping with a different arm now? I could not be happier. Time to try some sps…

Attachments

• A041E660-5EBF-4F90-AEE7-64EDA7FA4C0B.jpeg
    A041E660-5EBF-4F90-AEE7-64EDA7FA4C0B.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 31

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back