Using Bayer Complete Insect Killer on AEFW

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tonight i found AEFW on my Milli Madness. Found them by accident, was moving the coral as it just really hasn't been doing well since I reintroduced it back into my tank in January. It would show signs of getting better then relapse.

I flipped the coral over and this is what I saw:
photo+5.JPG

egg masses.
I immediately knew what it was. After 10+ years growing corals, I feared that eventually I was going to get bitten.

I grabbed the Bayer Complete Insect Killer. Measured out 2.5ml into 2 cups of tank water.
Within 30 seconds (no agitation) I had flatworms falling off the coral.
peeling+off.JPG

I dipped the coral for 5min, then examined it; then swirled it for a while.
in+dish.JPG

There were actually more than this in the bottom of the dish, most very small, but 3 were very large.

This is actually a shot of a large flatworm still on the coral, I never saw it the first few look-overs.
on+coral.JPG

I scraped the eggs, and superglued the exposed location where the masses were.

I've been experimenting with different doses, up to 10ml in 2 cups of tank water, one of my deepwater (not sure the species) did not like it at all -- still alive and growing/recovering, but it initially killed the tips.

2.5ml in 2 cups seems to work well.

Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been using this stuff for one year now and this stuff is great. i dip it in bayer first let it seat for 10m and take it out and dip it in fresh tank water the dip it in coral rx , and all is good.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back