Using computer monitor arms to install Maxspect Ethereal LEDs

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 in-wall I'm in the process of building. I purchased a pair of Maxspect Ethereal for my lighting, but the brackets that come with it had two issues: They don't fit over my rimmed tank without cutting some of the plastic, and the brackets would be in the way for me to perform maintenance.

My solution was a set of inexpensive tv/computer monitor articulated wall brackets.

eB4vqH4.jpg

ezjwdYt.jpg

Below is the supplied mounting bracket and screws for the Ethereal. It is designed to be attached to the other half of the bracket that attaches to the tank. Luckily, through design or through coincidence the hole pattern exactly matches a VESA 100x100 tv mounting plate.

HwzrUTE.jpg

QH2A34y.jpg

DO1bckc.jpg

FYRqswR.jpg

Below is the mounted result. I can easily swing the lights up and out of the way and adjust the angle and height however I choose. I still need to complete my door panel that will cover the space above the tank but when completed the lights/brackets will not be visible from outside the fish room.

dOTgL29.jpg

uSospzY.jpg

I hope this helps anyone with a similar issue.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sir are a gosh darn genius!!! You saved me from throwing the bad boys like a discus out my front door. These mounts do not work very well on a 18" wide 75 gal with the stock bracket, put the light to far forward and not enough light on back of tank. May I ask which mounts you are using and can you adjust them to different positions the way you have them mounted and will it stay or do you need to tighten bolts or screws to get them to stay?

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mounts that come with the light, for lack of a better description, suck.

I used a very cheap set off E-bay because quite frankly I wasn't sure if it would hold them up. There are a number of different styles and lengths of articulated monitor arms available from $12 to as much as you want to spend. I could not find anything reasonably priced in stainless or aluminum, which would have been preferred.

These and many others have a bolt and nut at the joint that you can tighten for more or less resistance. Some do not so make sure you can adjust the tension before you buy. I have mine set a little tighter than how they came and I can tilt it up at the wall bracket joint and they stay in position just fine.

C1R5y4G.jpg

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mounts that come with the light, for lack of a better description, suck.

I used a very cheap set off E-bay because quite frankly I wasn't sure if it would hold them up. There are a number of different styles and lengths of articulated monitor arms available from $12 to as much as you want to spend. I could not find anything reasonably priced in stainless or aluminum, which would have been preferred.

These and many others have a bolt and nut at the joint that you can tighten for more or less resistance. Some do not so make sure you can adjust the tension before you buy. I have mine set a little tighter than how they came and I can tilt it up at the wall bracket joint and they stay in position just fine.

C1R5y4G.jpg

I could not agree more about the mount. First, if you have a rimmed tank like my Marineland 75G....yeah good luck. You need to strip the rubber sleeve off the Aluminum bracket to get it to fit over the lip. Second... the bracket on the the slave light where the two plastic thumb screws go through to hold the bracket to the the tank looks like they were tap threaded by a cross eyed 3 toed sloth so I had to open a ticket with Coralvue last night to possibly get that replaced. But thanks to you, I have another option! To the Amazon!!!

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea! How do you like the lights? I'm considering a pair.

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the lights thus far (minus the mounts, coralvue is having to send me a new mounts because mine is jacked up thread wise). I'm still in the process of shaking down my tank so really do not have anything alive in it yet so I cannot speak to how corals do under them but I will say that they look to be pretty bright. Maybe @Sierra_Bravo can fill you in on that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back