SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my Materials List, everything is from Amazon unless otherwise noted

Aquarium Backup Pump Materials

Watchdog Automatic Battery Charger and Monitor Salvaged Part!

RIB B000LESC12 SPDT 10 Amp. 10-30vdc / 120 VAC Coil. $11.45

Pinfox Plastic Project Box ABS IP65 Electronic Enclosure Waterproof Junction Box with Fixed Ear 6.2" x 3.55" x 2.3"

Fancpsee (2 Pack) Replacement 5.5mm x 2.5mm 90 Degree Right Angle DC Power Male Plug Jack to Bare Wire Open End Pigtail Power Cable Cord for 18 VAC

Pin & Socket Connectors .093 Connector Kit Pnl Mnt Plug Rec 2P (1 piece)

FILSHU 5.5 x 2.1 MM DC Power Jack Socket Threaded Female Mount Connector Adapter with 15CM 18AWG Cable for 12 Vdc

2Pack 1 to 2 Way DC Power Splitter Cable Barrel Plug 5.5mm x 2.1mm for CCTV Cameras LED Light Strip for 12 Vdc

4pcs / pack 2m Black 5.5mm x 2.1mm DC Power Plug To Socket Extension Cable Cord, DC are Extension Cable, DC 12V Inline Switch 12 Vdc

MOUNTAIN_ARK 2 Pack 63 GPH (240L/H) Submersible Water Pump DC 12V 3.6W 9.8ft Lift for Fish Tank Pumping, Rockery Water, Bonsai Fountain

Aexit Clear Silicone tubing 0.31" ID x 0.39" OD(8mmX10mm) 16.40ft(5m) High Temp Hose Silicone tubing air Hose Rubber Hose Extremely Pump Tube

Four Black Nylon Ratchet Clamps from ACE Hardware

Lee’s 3/8” x 36” Ridged Tubing from LFS

EverStart Deep Discharge Battery. P/n 27DC 80 Amp Hours @ 20hr, 800 MCA = 616 CCA. from Walmart

I did everything 12 Vdc so I didn’t have an inverter consuming power. I did a 13 hour test on the system by switching on the back up pumps. Waited 15 minutes and took a Voltage reading of 12.70 Vdc from the battery. After 13 Hours the reading dropped to 12.60 Vdc.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my Materials List, everything is from Amazon unless otherwise noted

Aquarium Backup Pump Materials

Watchdog Automatic Battery Charger and Monitor Salvaged Part!

RIB B000LESC12 SPDT 10 Amp. 10-30vdc / 120 VAC Coil. $11.45

Pinfox Plastic Project Box ABS IP65 Electronic Enclosure Waterproof Junction Box with Fixed Ear 6.2" x 3.55" x 2.3"

Fancpsee (2 Pack) Replacement 5.5mm x 2.5mm 90 Degree Right Angle DC Power Male Plug Jack to Bare Wire Open End Pigtail Power Cable Cord for 18 VAC

Pin & Socket Connectors .093 Connector Kit Pnl Mnt Plug Rec 2P (1 piece)

FILSHU 5.5 x 2.1 MM DC Power Jack Socket Threaded Female Mount Connector Adapter with 15CM 18AWG Cable for 12 Vdc

2Pack 1 to 2 Way DC Power Splitter Cable Barrel Plug 5.5mm x 2.1mm for CCTV Cameras LED Light Strip for 12 Vdc

4pcs / pack 2m Black 5.5mm x 2.1mm DC Power Plug To Socket Extension Cable Cord, DC are Extension Cable, DC 12V Inline Switch 12 Vdc

MOUNTAIN_ARK 2 Pack 63 GPH (240L/H) Submersible Water Pump DC 12V 3.6W 9.8ft Lift for Fish Tank Pumping, Rockery Water, Bonsai Fountain

Aexit Clear Silicone tubing 0.31" ID x 0.39" OD(8mmX10mm) 16.40ft(5m) High Temp Hose Silicone tubing air Hose Rubber Hose Extremely Pump Tube

Four Black Nylon Ratchet Clamps from ACE Hardware

Lee’s 3/8” x 36” Ridged Tubing from LFS

EverStart Deep Discharge Battery. P/n 27DC 80 Amp Hours @ 20hr, 800 MCA = 616 CCA. from Walmart

I did everything 12 Vdc so I didn’t have an inverter consuming power. I did a 13 hour test on the system by switching on the back up pumps. Waited 15 minutes and took a Voltage reading of 12.70 Vdc from the battery. After 13 Hours the reading dropped to 12.60 Vdc.
Wow! This is awesome and saves me so much time compiling my list!! I have gotten about as far as adding the batteries and a box to keep the finished product in. In other words I have not gotten that far. Also, your test gives a good benchmark to know how long it can supply power. :) Thanks for this!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have a Watchdog Controller Salvaged, you will need a Diode Between the Positive Terminal of the Battery and the RIB Relay coil. The Diode needs to be Forward to the Battery. If you don’t use the Diode the battery will feed power to the RIB relay and it will never switch over to the backup pumps. BTW I soaked the pumps I mentioned in Saltwater for three weeks, to make sure they didn’t rust or corrode. Newark Electronics Should be able to tell you what Diode to use. Also don’t forget to fuse, your load, the pumps.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have a Watchdog Controller Salvaged, you will need a Diode Between the Positive Terminal of the Battery and the RIB Relay coil. The Diode needs to be Forward to the Battery. If you don’t use the Diode the battery will feed power to the RIB relay and it will never switch over to the backup pumps. BTW I soaked the pumps I mentioned in Saltwater for three weeks, to make sure they didn’t rust or corrode. Newark Electronics Should be able to tell you what Diode to use. Also don’t forget to fuse, your load, the pumps.
Excellent!! Thank you for this!! I'm inching toward finally getting this completed. :) It's been on my to-do list for over a year.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks,

I came across this instructable on how to make a backup power supply using deep cycle marine batteries: https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Build-a-Battery-Backup-Generator/

I did a quick read of it and it's very detailed and it looks complete. I looked for a diy post on r2r but couldn't find anything so my questions are:
1. Has anyone made a backup power supply with these and does it do what you need?
2. Does this instructable look complete and correct?
3. Would you change anything if you were to remake it?
4. Is it worth making one vs. buying one? I know the good quality marine batteries are expensive.
5. Are there any safety concerns with using these batteries? I plan to keep it indoors.
6. What is the proper maintenance of these batteries? Ex: Keep them on a trifle charger or no maintenance required?

If there is a diy on here pass along the link. I only went a couple pages deep when reviewing the search results. One thing I like about the diy aspect is that I can customize it and add to it easily if required.

Thanks!
I bought a storm responder battery backup which is essentially this with a few large batteries. It has a built charger, a couple AC outputs, USB, etc. it can also be charged conveniently via a solar array. It’s UL listed, safe, and easy to use. It’s also on wheels and very portable. We use it when camping too.

I have a UPS hooked up to my wifi and apex which runs my system for 80-90 minutes and then I can just wheel over the bigger unit if necessary. It will run everything for a day or two.

My advice would be to really think about how often you need something like this and size accordingly. When we lived up north and could lose power for 1-2 days in -5 weather or on the coast when a hurricane dropped everything for 2 weeks and temps were in the 90’s I planned accordingly; do I need heating? Cooling? Length of outage?

Here in San Antonio we have rolling blackouts and hailstorm damage year round it seems but they don’t last more than 30-60 minutes.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a storm responder battery backup which is essentially this with a few large batteries. It has a built charger, a couple AC outputs, USB, etc. it can also be charged conveniently via a solar array. It’s UL listed, safe, and easy to use. It’s also on wheels and very portable. We use it when camping too.

I have a UPS hooked up to my wifi and apex which runs my system for 80-90 minutes and then I can just wheel over the bigger unit if necessary. It will run everything for a day or two.

My advice would be to really think about how often you need something like this and size accordingly. When we lived up north and could lose power for 1-2 days in -5 weather or on the coast when a hurricane dropped everything for 2 weeks and temps were in the 90’s I planned accordingly; do I need heating? Cooling? Length of outage?

Here in San Antonio we have rolling blackouts and hailstorm damage year round it seems but they don’t last more than 30-60 minutes.
You are absolutely right about this. I've been fortunate where I live (Toronto) that I haven't had to deal with too many outages. The couple times they happened were in winter and only lasted four to five hours but it's amazing how quickly the temp dropped. I just had freshwater tanks at the time and they were coldwater so the temp drop didn't bother the fish but it made me nervous. The worst outage was the big one that hit the northeast back in 2003. I think back on that and I'm thankful I didn't have fish back then!!

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread, it’s really important. Earlier today I posted a thread on how I used a deep cycle to run a battery backup.
There is an easier way, which is to get a water pump that is powered via a USB connector, and run it with a USB power bank. The USB pump I got ran off my 13,000 mAh power bank for 36 hours.

To make the backup standby (vs me having to be there to set it up) I put 12V battery to USB adapter on a sealed lead acid deep cycle battery. I have a relay that turns it on when the relay loses power, and also have it hooked up to a battery maintainer.

Joekovar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you have a fire alarm company near you, and whether you can work something out with them to get some of the SLA batteries they pull out of systems during annual inspections.

We go through a lot of 12V batteries ranging in size from 7AH to 18AH. Sometimes they're garbage, sometimes they've got a year or so of life left in them. Either way we only get maybe $0.50 ea for the core credit when getting a shipment.

My vital pumps are DC, and I run them from an Altronix power supply which has all of the battery circuitry included.

When hurricane Elsa was coming I went to our old battery pile and grabbed a few hundred AH worth of batteries then slept like a baby.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you have a fire alarm company near you, and whether you can work something out with them to get some of the SLA batteries they pull out of systems during annual inspections.

We go through a lot of 12V batteries ranging in size from 7AH to 18AH. Sometimes they're garbage, sometimes they've got a year or so of life left in them. Either way we only get maybe $0.50 ea for the core credit when getting a shipment.

My vital pumps are DC, and I run them from an Altronix power supply which has all of the battery circuitry included.

When hurricane Elsa was coming I went to our old battery pile and grabbed a few hundred AH worth of batteries then slept like a baby.
Nice! I love the alternative ideas coming out of this thread. I never would have thought of this! :)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great thread, it’s really important. Earlier today I posted a thread on how I used a deep cycle to run a battery backup.
There is an easier way, which is to get a water pump that is powered via a USB connector, and run it with a USB power bank. The USB pump I got ran off my 13,000 mAh power bank for 36 hours.

To make the backup standby (vs me having to be there to set it up) I put 12V battery to USB adapter on a sealed lead acid deep cycle battery. I have a relay that turns it on when the relay loses power, and also have it hooked up to a battery maintainer.
Thanks! This is a great alternative and ironically I just recently purchased one of those power banks for uses unrelated to my tanks but using them makes for a fairly inexpensive and easy setup! :)

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Minor Problems with my Watchdog back-up conversion. The Alarm Beeps continuously during a Power Loss. You can press the reset button for the five seconds, but after a minute, it starts beeping again. This is due to a continuous signal from what was the float switch, now off of the power loss external relay. One of the 12 volt pumps got a piece of shell in it. No idea, how it got into the return part of the sump. Looking for a small sponge filter for this. Not sure what I can do about the alarm, may have to go into the Watchdog Module, and wire in a switch.

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dan,
Do you have a link to the USB pump? I am concerned how strong the pump is? What size tank?

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan,
Do you have a link to the USB pump? I am concerned how strong the pump is? What size tank?

YouTube link below is pretty much on par with what I got. It should have enough flow to get through a disaster especially if open top, and could always double up for half the run time. My tank is 75 gallon.
There are a lot of different brands on Amazon but suspect they are all just about the same.

70E251A8-B139-445A-9897-DAF4FC7FA77B.jpeg

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 6105.50 safety connector.. made for the job...
Could not be easier.......

Plug the pump in one side, mains power and battery - done.
When the power goes out this little thing switches the power to the battery.

I am looking at two of the units 1 for each pump 6095 running on a 7095 controller.
This unit can switch 12vdc or 24vdc
Tunze pumps will run on 12vdc so they just run slower.
100AH battery and they will last .......... no idea but I am hoping for 12hrs plus.

download.jpg
6105.500.jpg

Groovyg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! I didn't even think of the newer type of car batteries but it makes sense! I will check those out.
Ultima
Hello folks,

I came across this instructable on how to make a backup power supply using deep cycle marine batteries: https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Build-a-Battery-Backup-Generator/

I did a quick read of it and it's very detailed and it looks complete. I looked for a diy post on r2r but couldn't find anything so my questions are:
1. Has anyone made a backup power supply with these and does it do what you need?
2. Does this instructable look complete and correct?
3. Would you change anything if you were to remake it?
4. Is it worth making one vs. buying one? I know the good quality marine batteries are expensive.
5. Are there any safety concerns with using these batteries? I plan to keep it indoors.
6. What is the proper maintenance of these batteries? Ex: Keep them on a trifle charger or no maintenance required?

If there is a diy on here pass along the link. I only went a couple pages deep when reviewing the search results. One thing I like about the diy aspect is that I can customize it and add to it easily if required.

Thanks!
Hi i use this
1200 watt inverter
prowatt smart switch
blue top altima deep cycle maintaince free battery
battery maintainer

Back